• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canadarago

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fished the south end by hider creek and south of the island in front of Marble Rd. and marked very few fish caught 3 nice perch in 42' all within 20 minutes on a #12 chart/red/glow marmooska, fish were very finicky and marked less than 20 all day long, after 1 p.m. we only marked two fish and left at 3:30 p.m. Tough day fishing but a nice day to be out on the ice.

Tim, sorry to hear that the fish were not biting. Four expert fisherman like yourselves and only 3 perch. Oh my! I really thought you guys were going to have a great day. What about this weekend, send me an email and lets talk about Oneida. I got the skis you got the talent. Lets go fish-in

We had 8 total between Jay, John and I but it was tough. When I jigged the perch took off it took a super slow lift and no jigging and the rod tip just dipped down slightly with 1 pd. test. I found if you bounced it they took off? I'll send you an email.

Fished with Mike in 38' to 40' and we caught 20 nice perch total I had 12 and Mike caught 8. We had some beauties 7 over 13" and the rest were 12" plus. Size 10 Gold Wolfram/glow bead and size 10 chartreuse/green marmooskas tipped with spikes. Talked to a guy whom was on the north end with his quad and him and his partner didn't mark a fish all day. Fish were in small packs never marked more than 4 at one given time and by the time you picked one up and went to go drop your jig back down they were gone. It was quality over quantity today and I also caught a small walleye. Beautiful day to be out fishing...

Saw quite a few goys way down on the south west corner looks like they were fishing bluegills. Thanks CNY Rob, tried to call you but my cell didn't work on the lake. Wouldn't mind fishing it next Saturday if your interested. OOOps I forgot I think you said your going to Lake George, oh well another time den. Thanks again partner...

Fished Canadarago in 38' of water and caught 7 nice perch 12" to 14 1/4". My son Tyler caught 3 beauties and Tuzzy picked up 2. Poor CNY Bruce couldn't get a bite. CNY Rob and Harry were there for a little while and picked up a couple a piece. Bruce had company as CNY Frank and Al had goose eggs too. Marked a lot of fish just couldn't get them to eat especially in the afternoon. That's fishing..

Fished Canadarago today 38' south of the island with John, Manning, Mike and Rob... It was a slow pick all day but the morning bite was best. I ended up with a dozen sumo perch and a 16.5" walleye for the table. Mike had 7, Manning had 6, John had 5, and Rob 4. Rob stayed a while even after working mids the night before, hell be slow moving tonight on the job... I like that shanty you bought Rob you gotta good deal on that you did. It was a pretty nice day, high 40's out there, but the south west wind was rough all day gusting to 30 mph at times. Caught the walleye on a 1/16 oz. rainbow trout forage minnow t-boned with a "natural" berkley honey worm and most of perch today came on a green bro bug but also had success with the glow one as well tipped with spikes... There was alot of people fishing around us today and also a few shacks in the southeast corner of the lake. The walking was starting to get a little slushy on the way out and the good news is the snow shrank down today with the heat.

Fished Canadargago Friday with poor results few fish marked and only 3 caught. Fished 32' to 38' but marked most in 35'. Tough day for everyone except for Rob he managed eleven or twelve but we caught more average size fish with less jalopies.

Fished from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and marked very few fish only caught one nice perch and was broken off by another, fished south end of the lake from 31' to 38'. Tyler and I moved to Young Lake and boy we were glad we did we caught 23 keeper bluegills all around 8.5" and a couple of largemouth bass one was like 4 pds. and the other 3 pds. Fished 15' of water there. We also got a lot of small perch there too.. Face looks like a lobster man it was hot out there.

Fished 34' from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and caught 19 perch and I also caught a 16.5" walleye (released). Fished with Z and Bussman and they had between 10 and 13 a piece. Found a jig they liked and with the 1 pd. test it took forever to get up and down but that;s how it goes when they won't touch anything but the small stuff. The perch were Canadarago quality through and through. A couple guys to our south did not fair well at all. Fish were 5-6 ' off the bottom until about 10 a.m. and then they were coming in a 1' off after that. Wan't to thank Dark Cloud for the rod he built me it was right on today. I broke two big perch off and lost 4 or 5 perch on the way up. Fun day and fished with the Fish Trap wide open most of the day. I think I got another burn.

Fished Canadarago from 6:30 to 9:30 and marked just 5 fish and caught one. Fished the south end with a couple of guys and one had one good perch and the other caught a pickerel. Cut a bunch of holes from 7.5' out to 36'. The driving rain made it easy to quit early I got good and wet out there. My fish trap was making a wake out there as there were 4-5" of water on top and no sign of it letting up. The shoreline started to show some stress cracks on the way out. Going to try a lake north east tomorrow.

These lakes will be scary this weekend if this rain keeps up.

I am hoping to be out there this Wednesday off the hyder and I hope the ice holds up this week. With any luck I will be fishing Wednesday - Saturday and I am up for anywhere I can find ice. I will let you know if its worth coming down or if the ice gives in to this rain. I am seriously considering driving north till I find good ice and spending a few days up there. My wife said I have a passport so I could go into canada if I wanted too. I am not ready to let go just yet!

George good luck on Canadarago. Monday I marked one fish in our area over there and that was the only one I saw in an hour. I fished the south end with Dicky and Rich in that downpour and only marked 5 fish all morning. No one was in front of the creek but my bet is it could be where there concentrated. There was a ton of water on the ice 4-5" in spots when I left. If you find em George shoot me an email to [email protected] and maybe I'll be sick between now and Saturday grin.gif

I hope you nail em! Hey from the sounds of it the perch this season have been finicky on both Oneida and Canadarago. Makes you lorn for the days of banging em consistantly on forage minnows and 3 pd. test. We adapted to the small delivery alot this season, thanks to Dark Cloud and BigJohnnyIce! Maybe next year will be the year. One can only hope!

Dark Clouds' going to find out if he can still get those blanks and I think I will turn Dark Cloud's rod over to Ray and see if he will make them up I need 3... Yours, Tuzzy's and Tylers. The HT IB 24" is the closest thing to it but I can go a little smaller with Dark Clouds rod with feel and visual. Good luck tomorrow! I'll check my email tomorrow night. Thanks George...

The ice at the launch is getting pretty crappy but there are still many places you can walk on and off. There is about 15" of clear ice with 2" of fairly dry granular ice ( just like a slush puppy) on top. Marked many fish and did manage to get 23 really nice ones.

George good report! I called Z this morning and we decided to let you have it to yourself the rest of the way... Be careful, out there and have fun. This weekend is out for me anyhow. Keep in touch.

Got another report from yesterday and the boys are still doing well on Canadarago I had reports of 23, 18, 10 sumo perch and many pesky walleyes being caught and released as wellin 36' of water. Shoreline spots to get on will be few and far between it may be plank time on Saturday especially with the rain today. Still 15" of ice out there but going fast. Be careful this weekend and remember Oneida is off limits to ice fisherman from hear on out. Be safe...

Z's last trip on the ice was today and Sarah and him picked up 10 nice perch. Bite was smoking when they first got there at 0930 and they banged 6 slobs off the bat and then they shut down around 10:30 and they managed to catch 4 more fish before they left at 1 p.m.

Bussman had a few he got a late start out as well, he's been doing very well with two 23 back to back days. Interested to see what his final tally was.

Z felt the early bite would have been the best but will never know.

I will say this it was fun fishing with both you guys this year... George I'll get out there more with you next season. Will have plenty of Your Bobbers Down stuff to throw down the hole by then :^)

I will have a report tomorrow afternoon on ice conditions one of my buddies is fishing it tommorrow and will call me at home with a report. Talked to Tuzzy and he may be able to join us fishing by next weekend he's feeling better and better everyday since the surgery and sounded like he was very close to a go this weekend but will wait till next weekend. It will be great to get him back out with the boys again..

I don't know what to say other than we hammered alot of small fish today and caught enough keepers to keep us satisfied. Fished with Tyler, Big John, Manning, Frank, Wayne and Mohawk Valley Joe made an appearance as well. No Z though, but I was looking for him... Fished 38' mostly and rarely had to move much to mark fish on the MarCum today, they were under us and all around. Quite a few guys in the south end today. The lake is definitely showing youth and potential to be back on the road to being the big perch factory it once was. Never! I mean never... have a seen so many 5" to 9" perch and it pleases me to just think how much they will grow in a year. I was very pleased with the action and you didn't need to finesse them either they basically ate everything including plastics.

Wayne - It's not like it hasn't been done before. I have done it myself and forgot the flasher, hell I even tried to leave my Colorpoint at Whitney Point a few years back.. Glad you had a good time, I think Chris is hooked he caught quite a few fish for a first timer and caught some of his better fish right in my captains seat and with my LX-5. First thing Chris is doing is getting a shelter... Good for him I like teaching newcomers to the sport it's fun. Will probably do it again next Saturday, I had a blast! If you want to go and you want to leave the colorpoint at home I can bring my spare LX-3 again to use, no problem...