• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mounting a kicker

setterguy

Question

Have a couple quesitons for the engine gurus in here... I have a 17 ft Crestliner with a Johnson 115 oil injected two stroke on it. I am going to be adding an evinrude 9.9 two stroke as a kicker. First question: Is there any way to splice into gas line after the oil, put on a shut-off and run both engines from the same gas/oil tanks? Question 2: This new kicker is a tiller, does someone make an attachment to convert this into a motor that can be steered with the steering wheel? Any thoughts, advice would be greatly appreciated.

6 answers to this question

I have a similiar set-up. I added a 4 stroke kicker with a 3 way "T" spliced into my main gas line to the 115 motor.

I don't know how you can do this with a 2 stroke kicker motor. The oil and gas will not mix unless your 9.9 motor has an oil tank itself(?). I've never heard of splicing an oil line either. The oil/gas mix occurs in the carburator if it's oil injected. If you pre-mix gas in your on board boat tank it would work.

The only option I see is you will have to bring a small pre-mix can for the kicker. I used a small can for my kicker before I found a T to control gas flow. The T can be ordered from any boat dealer. Ask them, they should have a big book of accessories.

Yes, there are also products that connect kickers to main motors for steering. I've seen them at boat dealerships. I didn't do this because I like to back troll....trolling forward is not an issue either as the main motor will steer the boat. I bought an expandable, extension handle on the kicker. It works for my needs.

I know you can get some type of accesory to connect the two motors for remote steering. It should be readily available at just about any marine store. As far as the fuel, I don't know if there is anything available. However, you may want to give that a little more thought any way. If you have fuel/oil problems, you could be looking at damage to both motors as opposed to just one. Also, I ran out of gas in my big tank this year on Vermillion, it took a long time to get to shore with the kicker, but it sure beats paddlin' grin.gif

Ok, 1st question...answer is NO, oil tanks are vacuum or suction activated, a valve might not create enough flow, but I am sure your kicker has a tank built in, and oil will last many hours.
2nd question, yes they make a bar called EZ Steer which can be connected to your main outboard and you can steer kicker from console with steering wheel, check Marine and large Sporting goods stores.

As far as the kicker steering connector, I bought one this year that I really like. It allows me to quickly attach or detach as needed. (mine mounts in front of both motors) I got it from cabela and it was a fraction of the cost of the e z steer. It is listed in their catalog simply as "motor connector rods" and it is $24 for plated steel and $49 for solid stainless steel. I have been surprised by its durability.

The funny thing is I know a guy that paid $150 to have one installed at a marine dealership and I looked at it and it is exactly the same rod I bought for $24 and installed myself in 10 minutes.

ccarlson

Setterguy,

Just from my experience, I would have no problem using a separate tank for the kicker, you must have room for it somewhere, correct?

As far as the steering goes...(just my two cents) I would much rather be in the back working the kicker than up at your seat by the console. My uncle put in the controls as well as remote steering and does not like it. Simply akward...windshield, etc. If you go with remote steering and not the throttle, then I think you are in for a whole lot of no fun. What happenes when someone in your boat gets hung up, and you have to whip around quick to get him unsnagged? Maybe my type of fishing is nothing like your type of fishing, and this is all whole lot of wasted typing and sore forearms...food for thought anyways.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"