• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

woodland resort

A few buddies and i are heading up to Devils lake for the 1st time this weekend and staying at Woodland resort. Has anyone stayed here or fished out of this area before? We will have a sled and are looking to find lake structure around this area.

I am a Mille Lacs geek and usually jig with a pimple or weasle for the walleyes. Are the jigs similar on Devils Lake?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been to Devil's 3 straight years and stayed at Woodlands all 3. First of all, we have stayed in all the accommodations from the motel to the large cabin and they are all excellent. The bait shop and the owners take care of you. The only problem is that the fish houses for the resort that were included in the package did not stay on top of the fish all that well and fishing couldv'e been tough. You need to stay mobile, even if you fish out of your pickup. (which you will see alot of the locals doing to stay mobile) Also, I would start at the Towers and work your way around there. Hali's are the ticket there. The perch colored and buy a couple of spare chains because some of those footballs(perch) can take a toll. The reflectant blue with a red head also seemed to be the ticket. Well, even when the fishing was tough, the resort had great food, cold beer, and awesome homemade long island iced teas. (that can cure any bad day of fishing)

Gotta get back there!

You might want to pick up a Lakemaster Map of Devils Lake. It shows good depth and contour, GPS Waypoints and highlights most of the location names. Really helps when the guy at the bait shop starts naming off the hotspots like Bird Island, Concrete Bay, Monkey Ridge and you have a map handy so he can point them out.

That Lakemaster Map of Devil's Lake is unreal!!! I used it side by side with the Pro-Pointers map and found the GPS grids and coordinates didn't jive. I even got in an argument with a buddy of mine over where we were at on the map. He was using the Pro-Pointers map and was very adament about our location. He had a hard time admitting he was wrong.

Anyway- Hali's are made by Nilsmaster. You can find them pretty much anywhere but Eds Bait Shop will have a half a wall full of them if you wait to get up there. They are basically a 1/4" wide flat spoon that is available in a few different lengths, the biggest is about 2" long. There is a little dropper chain & hook that hangs off the bottom.

Here is a photo-

BHali50.jpg

I am almost emabarrased to say we got skunked! Got caught in one of the worst blizzard's i've been in driving up friday morning and then fished from 7 am to 7 pm in three different sports without a fish on saturday. Resort told us entire lake was dead. We did have fun other than that though. blush.gif