• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS Opinions

yellowsubmarine

Question

I'd like to start doing a little research on GPS units. Since I'll be using it for fishing, ice fishing, and hunting, I've already decided to get a handheld instead of a big mapping unit that permanently installs in the boat. I only have a little experience with them, but from what I can tell, I want one that will you give me the distance to my waypoint in yards or feet instead of .1 or .01 miles. I also want one I can punch in waypoints in a format of 94 03 227 instead of 94 03 28. Also want it to be user friendly. So, what I'm wondering is, can anyone give me some opinions on what you've used or are using. Why you like it opposed to another, brand/ models. Just looking for a place to start I guess. Or maybe you could tell me some other things I should take into consideration. Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

Hey Josh, I forgot to mention in the email this morning that you should try a search on this forum. If you do this you'll be able to keep busy reading all day till you leave the office, and still have more to read tomorrow!!!

I think Tennesseean is a guy that can answer any questions you may have, I think I remeber him posting once that he's in the business or something along those lines. Hopefully he'll see this and post his email for you.

Fisky

I've got an older Garmin III that indicates feet and mileage. It only gives the reading in feet when you are within about 300 feet from the coordinate.

I can manually set a coordinate by scrolling an arrow on my screen to the exact spot on the lake with the mapping feature and enter it in. I don't know if mine manually sets a spot by numbers or not? I'll have to try that.

It also has the mapping feature which shows just about every lake around. Highways too.

I use it year round for hunting, ice fishing and in the boat. I use a RAM mount on my ATV, snowmobile and boat. It is so user friendly I wouldn't trade it for the world.