• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what size motor do I need?

fishing addict

Question

8 answers to this question

The most common sizes we've seen range from about 10 to 15 horse. If your wondering what the biggest is that you can put on, check the max rating on your 14 footer and go by that. I wouldn't say that one brand is any better than another, however if trolling is a factor, you may want to look into the availability of a 4-stroke model in the size you want. They have much better idling and trolling characteristics than a 2-stroke and much lower fuel consumption.

------------------
Steve
Bakken's Boat Shop

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-14-2003).]

got a 9.9 merc 2 stoker, its very quite and runs great. only thing, is the wind direction, if your backtrolling the 2 stroker smoke sucks big time. if you are looking for a good price, get the 2 stroker, if price isn't the reason, get a 4 stroke.

Nice Suzuk! Stick with four stroke, if you can. Hours of sitting back by that kicker with a two stroke is not noticed that much, until you sit back there operating a four stroke all day. Silent, like hear others in the boat, and hear birds silent. And of course not nearly the fumes. 10-15 hp will work just fine.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Think thoroughly about your kicker. I have the same predicament and went with a Honda 15 short shaft. I run the Honda on my duck boat too.

Those 8hp (and some 9.9's?) Yamaha's are high thrust. They are built for trolling and won't work too swift on a 14' boat at full throttle.

The short shaft isn't the greatest for backtrolling, but trolling works fine.

If you buy a long shaft motor, chances are it will be too long for your 14' boat. I don't know, just something to consider. I've never ran a long shaft on a small boat. I know in shallow water a long shaft won't cut it while duckin!