• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

minnkota autopilot

76k20

Question

I have a Minnkota autopilot trolling motor that, when in autopilot, only turns one way. The foot control turns both ways and the motor is fully functional otherwise. Has anyone else had a similiar problem? If so what was the defective part?

2 answers to this question

I just posted a reply to another thread "minnkota 65 AP".

Most likely your compass board is bad.

(it could also be your foot control but they've had more problems with compass boards that also cause this.)

I'm on my 5th compass board. Each time it exibits different characteristics of being faulty. The first time it just started turning every direction on its own but it worked fine when not using the auto pilot feature. The next one it would only turn left and not right. the next one would not turn either left or right, Both times the foot pedal tested ok and the compass board faulty. This went on and on.

From what Minnkota told me, all controls (turning etc.) go through the compass board even if not using the auto pilot feature. This is poor design as far as I'm concerned.

Better get on it while you still have warranty. Hopefully you do.

ccarlson

Before we come to the conclusion somethings wrong with the unit lets go over a few things.
Is the battery charged.
Is the shaft plumb when lowered into position.
Are the connections clean.
Dose it only act up when you have the speed set high.

If the motor turn both directions and the speed control work with the foot control I would say it's the compass board. If its under warranty bring it to a service center, you'll need the receipt. If its not under warranty you can take the chance thats its the board buy it and put it in yourself. Or bring the whole works to the shop and pay a little more to have them test it.