• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Motor Question

Question

Hi,

I need a new trolling motor, but can't decide between the Minn Kota Powerdrive 40lb or the All Terrain 40lb. The Powerdrive has the electic foot pedal with the long cord, and the maximizer thing that is supposed to make the battery last longer. The All Terrain is about $20 cheaper and has a cable operated foot pedal.

Do any of you guys have any experience with either of these motors. I like the maximizer function, but I worry that the electric foot pedal won't hold up as well as the cable operated one.

Any advice ??

4 answers to this question

I prefer the cable system. If your fishing rough water or current, the faster response of the cable steer is almost a requirement. I don't care for the foot control as much - tough to use while standing due to the steeper angle..

The electric steer works well for general use - just a matter of personal preference really. The electric steer will be slower, that is the major difference. You have the benefit of running the electric steer from the back of the boat on some units, which can be nice. Good luck with your decision.

Note:topic moved to the "Equipment-Expert Information" forum.

[This message has been edited by fishnAddict (edited 09-05-2003).]