• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tent heaters

Walleye_GFA

Question

Have not camped much into colder weather, anyone ahve any experience with keeping tents warm at night, or at least not dangerously cold ???

I am thinking about putting a bar heater or space heater on a couple milk crates and a board...

We have a big 20' x 10' with the vents at teh top taht you can close, but their is still a ton of ventalation with them closed...

Any ideas would be great... Im not going to go gently into winter this year, it will drag me kicking and screaming all the way !!!!

Wally

6 answers to this question

I sleep better knowing there isn't a heater running.
A cot to get you off the ground and a closed cell pad or self inflater for insulation between you and the cot. Theres bags that will keep you warm in temps well below zero. Use a buddy heater to warm the tent in the morning, makes it easier to get out of bed.

Depends on what your tent is made of....20' X 10'....is it a canvas wall tent?

ANY heater in a synthetic tent is dangerous, at best. CO poisoning or a flaming tent can be the result. A catalytic heater will help with the CO, but the flaming tent is still a possibility. Even if you get out, you'll be covered with melted plastic and those burns are very unpleasant.

The best suggestion I have seen here is to just use the proper sleeping equipment and perhaps use a buddy-type heater in the morning after you wake up to take the edge off.

I've slept comfortably in a tent in sub-zero weather...not what a person necessarily aims for, but it is very possible.

I use a catalytic heater in a two man tent when I'm winter camping. It's just me in there so I set it up with the least chance of melt down. I'll pre-heat the tent before I turn in for the night, and then turn it on again an hour or so before I get up. It helps to rid the tent of moisture that has accumulated during the night. You can also take your time getting out of the sleeping bag and getting dressed. The best way to keep warm while sleeping is a quality sleeping bag and a good thick foam pad to seperate you from the frozen tundra.