• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BIG BUDDY HEATERS DANGER ! STOP USING THEM !

klbowe

I picked up a heater/cooker to replace my big buddy.. What a hunk of junk that thing is.. I singed my eye brows on that dang thing with 3-4' flames inside my portable... I constantly had 1' size flames coming out of it all day and the regulator didn't seem to do a thing as far as regulating the gas... I don't think these are the safest in portables, unless I got a lemon. That thing can't be burning very clean from the looks of it..

I'm going back to the big buddy.. I don't care for the noise or the flames... Hopefully the safety issue only relates to the 1 lb. tanks on the big buddy as mentioned...

Overfill protection devices although a great idea have failed to make propane filling safer. In fact if you talk to any of the higher ups at ferrel gas they hait them. Heres why, everyone assumes that the valve is calibrated to stop the flow of propane at eighty percent full. Not true I've had many that shut off early and several that didn't shut off at all! If the person filling the tank is using a scale no problem, as soon as the scale tips you stop filling the tank. I've had my tanks filled (in a pinch)at 1 place and there practice was to fill until the valve closed.NOT RECCOMMENDED BY ANY PROPANE JOBBER IF YOU ARE GETTING YOUR TANKS FILLED AND THE PERSON FILLING IT IS NOT USING A SCALE GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. So in my opinion as well as many others opinion the OPD valve has made a bigger mess than it resolved.

Quote:

I picked up a heater/cooker to replace my big buddy.. What a hunk of junk that thing is.. I singed my eye brows on that dang thing with 3-4' flames inside my portable... I constantly had 1' size flames coming out of it all day and the regulator didn't seem to do a thing as far as regulating the gas... I don't think these are the safest in portables, unless I got a lemon. That thing can't be burning very clean from the looks of it..

I'm going back to the big buddy.. I don't care for the noise or the flames... Hopefully the safety issue only relates to the 1 lb. tanks on the big buddy as mentioned...

Dan I think you got a lemon or may have needed a little adjustment. We've had a heater/cooker for years and no problems at all.

I have had heater cookers for many years and the only trouble is when the copper sensors go bad.. however yesterday I got a new tank filled and walla I got huge bursts of flames..Im guessing the take was too full but they did use a scale?? That is not a good time...I fired up the heater to warm up the house and went out side to bank the house.. came back in and holy smoke.. NOT a good suprize..

Either the tank was too full or your regulator was frosted up and not working right like mine.

The sunflower saved my ars today when my big buddy kept going out. I really hope this thing with the recall fixes them up good, (when that time comes) because when itworked good the first two times, I really liked it.

If the tank is overfull it does crazy stuff like that.

I had one burping up flames and what I did was burp off a bit of propane off the 20# tank and it straightened itself out.

If the tank is a fresh fill that may be the deal Eh?