• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tranducer chewed up !!

Norco

Question

I have been traveling on alot of gravel to my favorite lake and just took a look at my tranducer on the Humminbird and boy does it look bad. What do you guys do to prevent this, I have mud flaps but still its bad!! Anyone else have the same problem????

8 answers to this question

Slow down! As soon as you hear the gravel hitting the under body and wheel wells it is also starting fly up and hose the boat and trailer. (usually around 30 mph) If you can't hear it its probably not doing any damage and vice versa. grin.gif

Time for a new invention.

I have often thought about this myself. At $60-$200 a crack depending on the unit, a protective "cover" should be made for our ducers. We all know too well from winter fishing how sensitive these things are to shock, scratches, etc.

I have a few ideas already. smile.gif

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

When we go to Canada we travel 130 miles of gravel. 30 mph would take forever.To protect the boat and trailer we wrap it in canvas and carpet. for the transducer a piece of foam rubber and duct tape does wonders.
good luck

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

I think ST got the problem more than road damage. I fish a few tournaments each year and we are always pulling the boats up on shore. That's what is scratching the ducers more. Think about it, a rock would have to come off your tire at just the perfect angle to travel back another five to seven ft to hit your transducer. The odds of the direct hits it would take on each trip. You should be buying lotto tickets if that's whats beating it up.

Good points guys.

If you compare the abrasion resistance of the face of a transducer to the abrasion resistance of a tempered glass windshield, you'll see that normal driving can take a wear on things over time.

I think a reasonable statement would be the windshield of a vehicle has superior abrasion resistance in comparison to the transducer face.

Drive into the sun and look at the windshield of your vehicle. Alot of them are pretty well peppered, some more then others depending on what type of stone deflector or bug shield you have.

Imagine the debris being kicked up by the speed of the vehicles, and add into the factor that your ducer is much closer to the ground then that of your windshield, and you might agree that over a period of time some protection might be needed to preserve the life of your ducer.

Just my opinion.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 08-28-2003).]