• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pflueger Akron

Scoot

Question

I found a couple of Pflueger Akron baitcasting reels in my mother-in-law's boat house. They're in perfect shape. Are they worth anything?
I also found a Pflueger 1983. Obviously, one would assume it was made in 1983 given it's name. However, it sure looks a lot older than that. Anyone know anything about these reels?
Scoot

5 answers to this question

Scoot, there are 5 or 6 different models of Akron's, these were produced from the mid-thirties into the early seventies depending on model. Most, including the older ones have limited value to collector's as they were mass produced and very popular. Which model numbers do you have? The 1983's were produced from 1977-1980 believe it or not! If you have the one with the bass figurine thingy on the side of it and it is in good shape hang on to it and don't scratch it up. These are quite sought after as not many were made. I have 2 of these, one is unused in the box and I've been offered over 300 beans for it. Is this the model you have?

Fisky

I cut my teeth on the Akron. You could buy those new in the 60's - maybe a few years before that too.

Pflueger also came out with the first "free spool" reel that I was aware of which allowed you to disengage the handle when casting.

The handle on the earlier Akrons rotated during a cast and these types of reels are probably responsible for the backlash stigma that still plagues baitcasting reels today. The Akron has an adjustment that allows you to adjust spool tension that would help the backlash problem but most people wouldn't bother setting that and then get angry when they got a bird's nest. Even after adjusting that tension, you still had to have a skilled thumb to prevent backlashes.

The style of the Akron combined with the availability of monofilament is probably what gave spincast reels like the Zebco 202, 404 and 606 and the Johnson Century the early success they had, especially in the hands of young fisherman.

My Dad taught me how to use and Akron properly and I found it to be a very good reel. You learned at an early age how to backreel when fighting a fish.

Scoot, those were/are great reels! I grew up fishing with them with my Dad who probably has a couple dozen Pfluegers. Yup, if you could cast those without the backlash you were the "man"! As Uff. stated they came out with free spool button you could push on the center of the handle, that was a fantastic addition to the reels. I know a lot of people discarded/threw away the reels when the level wind wouldn't go across the worm gear. What they didn't know was that there was a replacement part/guide behind one of the side caps on the reels you could replace the worn one with. My Dad still looks for the non-functional reels at garage sales and takes them home, goes through them, replaces what parts he can, swaps parts etc. to get a functioning reel. Hang onto the one's you've got! P.S. Thanks for the memories!! smile.gif

A few years back when I was really into collecting antique tackle. I spooled up an akron with 12# braided nylon. Put it on a nameless square steel rod, tied on a bass oreno and went retro fishin. Caught a 2# hammer handle. Although this was fun (almost burned my thumb dragging) I sure prefer to use my eon on my pinnacle rod. When I priced my akrons in the early 90s I came up with an approx value of 30 to 40 bucks, if my memory serves. Perhaps they have reached the 60 to 70 range?
God lyk!
JC