• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Submersible Trailer lights ?

klbowe

Question

Just blew a light on my trailer . The fixture is made by Wesbar and the single bulb cannot be replaced . I can buy a Wesbar water tight sealed module for $11.00.

Problem is the trailer has only been in the water maybe 15 times . Maybe it was a fluke but replacing the capsule involves re wiring and wires get shorter every time you rewire.

Has anyone had any problems with these signals ? Would I be better of installing submursible LED fixtures ?

Note there is no evidence that the seal capsule leaked and water hit the bulb.

If you have a moment please let me know what fixture your trailer has.
( if it has been a good one )

Thanks !

8 answers to this question

We've got those sealed semi trailer lights on our boat trailer. We never unplug them, no need to as they are water tight. Had them on for years and no problem. There was a previous thread on here about them, you may want to do a search, or I'm sure someone will be along soon to give the name of them (because I can't remember the name, the hubby picked them up). Good luck.

-------------

Fishn'Lady

Fishn lady , are your lights made by wesbar ?

Unplugging them may help but I agree if they are selling them as submersible and charging $11.00 for a bulb capsule you should not have to unplug the lights .

Found the previous post mentioned by Fishn-Lady by searching on Wesbar.

Very interesting reading .

Guess I will be looking for a set of trailer lights.

I am seriously interested in the LED style.

Has anyone tried them ?

Haven't tried the LCD's but I have never disconnected my lights on my Trailer that came with my boat and I have yet to smoke one and yes I put them in the drink every time. They do not have a water tight seal and the bulbs are readily replaceble. I guess as I think about it I have seldom, if ever, disconnected my trailer lights. Good Luck!!

KLbowe

I used to have the old style lights, had problems all the time. Try unpluging them, but if you forget, they go bad. replaced them with the sealed units three years ago, no more problems, if you go that way, make sure you get the watertight connectors as well.

good luck

Those wesbar lights are junk. I blew both of mine this spring. instead of getting new modules, i just cut them open enough to where i could take out the bulb and replace it. now i unplug the lights when i drop it in and have had no problem. that is the cheap fix to your problem.

------------------
"Fishing is a condition of the mind in which one cannot possibly have a bad time."
idratherbefishing

I honestly don't know what brand we have, and I forgot to ask the hubby. All I know is that we've had them on for years, never unplug them when dumping the boat or loading, and have never ever had a problem with them. If I remember I will ask him, I would look at the trailer but it is neatly tucked away at the moment. Good luck.

-----------

Fishn'Lady