• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bearing Buddies

SWMuskeye

Question

Does anyone know a good place to get these? Also how about the card to check what size you need?

Are they difficult to install? I'm thinking its a pretty good investment.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

9 answers to this question

You can find them at most Sporting Goods stores. Buy a bra for the buddy too. Take the cap off your hub and bring it to the store with you. Put a block of wood over the buddy and tap it in Squarely with a hammer. Fill up with waterproof bearing grease. Watch the spring depress, when its about to bottom out stop with the grease or you'll blow out the seal. Put the bra on to get the spring clean.

A scam?? Who wants to take their hubs off and grease their bearings each year?? I've had them on my trailers for years. My current boat is an 1890 Yarcraft with a single axle trailer. I've had it for six years and have yet to replace the bearings. This is with fishing 6-8 tournaments a year and guiding. All you do is pump some grease in from time to time and you're set. Deffinately worth the twenty bucks.

S.T. Told you how to put them on. The only thing I can add is when you go to put the bra on, make sure the surface is free from grease and push the center of the bra in so you create some suction behind it when it's completely on.

[This message has been edited by Chris Haley (edited 08-13-2003).]

BlackJack you got it the bra is just a plastic/rubber cap that goes over the top of the buddy
True you don't need them if you take the time to grease the bearings properly but they are sure nice to have and they add a little piece of mind in knowing that your bearings should always have grease. Just remember not to over fill them because you can blow the inside oil seal pretty easily.
------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 08-13-2003).]

I hate to break this to you guys. Even if you use buddies you should take your bearings apart every couple of years and check for wear and replace the seals. The way that they work is you are always pushing grease through the seals and this can cause the seals to fail and let water in, even if they are full of grease. This will start the pitting process.

The first thing I did when I got my used boat and trailer that had buddies was to take everything apart and inspect the seals and bearings. The inner seal was gone on one side and the inner bearing was shot and had to be replace. They are not a replacement for reasonable maintenance.

Upnorth is right. Bearing Buddies help, but there is no substiture for regular bearing & grease seal maint (repacking).

I've got Buddies on my trailer, and have found that I've blown seals too.

Repack your bearings at the same time you things like change the lower unit grease etc. I do mine in the fall, prior to winter storage.

UG

Yes, a scam. Even though the price isn't high, they don't guarantee you anything that a good service program wouldn't. Guys use them and get a false sense off security that when you keep pumping grease in the zerk, everything is OK. As mentioned above, guys have blown out seals. If you've done a good job servicing your bearings, the seals and cap will do their job and you can spend the buddy money of tackle.

Scam? - I worked as a junior mechanic for many years, packed bearings you can't even imagine. If for nothing else, properly used they will allow you to know there's fresh grease inside and reduce your repacking interval by at least half. Most folks don't repack until they fail! Good business if you're in it.

As a gazillion mile trailer puller, I've been sacked on the side of the road more than once with a burnt bearing, but never using buddies. However, I NEVER leave on a trip over a 100 miles or so without a spare bearing set.

Buddies won't and shouldn't replace a re-packing every couple of years, but surely do give peace of mind in between. After all, where does the grease go? Just DO NOT over pump and I'd sugest never more that just moving the spring.

Craig

[This message has been edited by Craig_S (edited 08-14-2003).]