• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 150 4 Stroke or Suzuki 140 4 Stroke?

vikes40for60

Question

21 answers to this question

Yes, can be ordered now and they are in the 2004 Catalog. They also have a lot of information on their HSOforum including performance bulletins. The 150 pushed a 1800 ProV 52 MPH!!!! All early feedback has been good. I just can't make up my mind whether to go with the Yammi or the Suzuki.

I believe the Yammy is available in Sep. Can be ordered now, but you won't get it until at least Sep.
I don't see how you can go wrong with the Yammy. I hear good things about the Suzi's, but I'd get the Yammy myself. They've got a long history of under-promising and over-producing (so say their salesmen).
You can't go wrong with either choice, but get the Yammy.
Scoot

Scoot,

Thanks for the feedback. You are right. I know the availability and am planning for that. My only fear is that this is the first year for the 150. All I have heard and seen on the Suzuki has been positive plus the cost is signifigantly lower. ($1,500-2000).

What I am really looking for is some technical data on on why one would select one over the other.

Not that I'm against Yamaha's, but I thought I heard something about either Evinrude or Suzuki having a 7-year warranty. I own a Merc right now myself and I love the thing, but when I upgrade someday, you can't really argue with a warranty like that!

Tight lines,

MB

I looked hard at the Suzuki 140 but ended up getting a merc 115 for cost reasons. There is some good technical information on the Suzuki HSOforum. I believe it has a 4-2-1 exhaust and the ingnition is a little better. From what I have read and heard the Suzuki's are one of if not the best 4-stroke you can get. I would also look at the Johnson 140 4-stroke, its a Suzuki painted white with Johnson on it, I think it also has a better warranty than the Yammi's. Go to each respective HSOforum and get all the technical data you can. I believe Suzuki give a comparison chart against major competitors.

Fisherdog

What kind of price tag is on the New 4S 150. I so excited that they came out with these I now know what my next boat is going to be and what it is going to have on the back.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Our 115 4 stroke Suzuki trolls down to about 1.9-2.0 gps. That is the best in class without going the optimax w/ smart-craft route. They have a gear reduction that allows for lower trolling speeds - that is the only reason I went with Suzuki over the others. They also were offering the 3+3 warranty.

We had a piston rod break on the motor after 10 hours of use - just after the break-in period. The dealer took care of quickly and it has been a real good engine since. Still can't help but have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth after this problem on a new engine.

Merc. is coming out with a 4 stroke line next year including a 150 H.P. that I'd be looking at. Due out by the summer of '04 I heard. It sounds as though this is a Merc. design, not Yamaha. Currently they only offer a 4 stroke made by Merc. up to 60 H.P. and those above are Yamaha powerheads. I've heard the new Mercs. will be top performance-wise for 4 strokes.

Formerly, if you bought a Johnson Outboard you got a Suzuki engine.

Now if you buy a Johnson you get a Bombardier (Ski-Doo) So I suppose of you liked the Johnsons of old the decision would be to go with a Suzuki now.

At the boatshow, I thought it was Merc that was offering the 7 year warranty. At any rate, 6 years would be sufficient.

A truly great deal would be when you can buy an entire rig, and the motor warranty matches Crestliners boat warranty (20 years)

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

I woudl rather have 10 hours on it then a problem then my friends Mercury Kicker story. Brand new 9.9 Merc 4 Stroke kicker rigged onto a Ranger 620. He started it for the first time, didnt even have it in gear and some loud knocking started. Not good. Oil case was FULL of water. I belive its the flip of a coin when it comes to wheter you get a good one or not. Either way my dollars will be spent on the Yammi or Suzuki, not the Merc.

Actually if you go buy a johnson 4 stroke today it is a Suzuki. They buy the motor from Suzuki and paint it. Same as the Merc 225 4 stroke, is a Yamaha. I drove a yamaha 150 4 stroke in May. Very nice motor, a little slower out of the hole than a v-max, but same or a little better on the top end.

Actually Vikes I would much rather have had the problem with the motor right away, rather than 10 hrs. in...

Here is the story...

10-11 hrs. of easy riding around the metro for break-in before week long fishing trip in northern Canada... First day of Canadian fishing trip and the piston rod broke.. Ended up not being able to use the brand new rig that we trailered 1000 miles, instead had to rent a boat for the week.. That was a major bum deal if you ask me. Suzuki wouldn't reimburse the rental expense either - that I think they should have.

Now, there was much thought that went into Suzuki as far as parts in remote areas, etc. There was a dealer, believe it or not, withing a couple hours. However this type of work would have required the week for them to finish - it wouldn't have mattered in this case if it was an American motor. We were hosed.

I'd have been much happier to see the problem right away - or at least before our trip. I would not be happy with the dealer however if they hadn't tested it out for you. Most dealers do test them out to make sure everything is working correctly before they send you on your way..

Murphy's Law states that your motor will never go bad near a dealer that either services your motor or that is actually open when you need them.

I have a Suzuki and love it and has been bullet-proof. Johnson is the same motor with a larger service network. If you like black - get a Suzuki, white - get a Johnson, grey - get a Yammy. I also saved a few thousand on the Suzy.

SXViper
Exactly why I mentioned it. Figured Vikes could use the input on my white painted Suzuki.
When I bought mine they didn't have a a Yamaha equivilent-- I felt like the 115 4s was too small for my boat and their next biggest was a 200 4s. I could've gone for the HPDI Yammy in that HP range but wanted a 4 Stroke and I couldn't wait.
If I had to pick next year knowing the Yammy will come in a 150 4 S it would be a tough decision. Hope I didn't confuse Vikes even more.