• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling equiptment info needed, please

stoneeyes317

Question

O.K., I am taking a trip to Star Lake @ the end of Aug. and I want to try some trolling (mostly for walleyes), pulling plugs, bottom bouncers with spinners, or 3-way rigs. I was @ Fleet Farm Sat. and I bought myself a South Bend Phase 2 IM8 med. hvy. action rod, and a Diawa Accudepth 17LC reel. I think I paid about $50 for this outfit, and I would like to know if I've made an O.K. initial purchase for the type of fishing I'm hoping to do??

All replies are welcome, as well as any help with the trolling aspect of things, since this will be the first time I try something like this...

eyes317

7 answers to this question

You should be fine. I just did a Winnie trip and used 3ways and Lindys and bottom bouncers with much lighter set up than you have. The key is matching your weight to the trolling speed to keep vertical.

That setup will work fine if you plan on using monofilament fishing line. I have a couple rods set up in a simuliar fashion.

Although I've gone more so to the super braid lines for trolling and pulling spinners. It is just so much more senitive than mono with no stretch. I can tell if my spinners or cranks are working properly. But to use the superbraids you'll need to go lighter. A medium action at the heaviest and tame down your hooksets or you'll rip hooks out.

Good Luck!

Thanks Paul!!

I've been considering getting the book, since I seem to have an array of crankbaits; wonder how that happened!!! grin.gif I did purchase the rapala trolling booklet, but I have some hot-n-tots and ripsticks (anyone know how deep I can get a ripshad on 8 lb. line mono?), so I think the precision book will be a godsend...

Since you replied, Paul, would you mind telling me what type of bait might be best if I decide to pull spinners, i.e. crawlers vs. leeches vs. minnows??

Thanks...

eyes317

My choice for cranks on star would be blue/chrome shad rap in the sizes #7 and #9 and the same models in the firetiger color. Might even want to have some #5's with too in case you need to work a little shallower. As far as live bait goes I'd stick to crawlers and leeches. Hammered gold, chartruse, chartruse/orange will all work well, might want to try some blue/glow white also. I dont use three ways or bottom bouncers much, mostly for me I use the old fashioned bead chain trolling sinkers, they slip thru the weeds better than everything else. I have been using the new foam walkers this season with some success for straight live bait rigging, love them for minnows!! Good fishin!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

As far as cranks go you'll need a trolling guide to get persise depth. I like Shad Raps,Hot-n-Tots,jointed Raps,Wally Divers,and Frenzys. Fire tiger,perch,blue,and silver. 1.5 2.5 mph. Maybe throw in some snap weights and planer boards too. I spool with 12 lb. mono, I like the stretch. 7 1/2-9' rods with line counters. Pulling crawlers you'll need harnesses, I make my own. I like large single bait grabber hooks and interchangable clevis which lets you change blades in a flash and I think the single hook runs better. As far as blades, use metal colors either smooth or hammered,fluoresants,and throw in a few blue one also. Colorado or willow leaf are my favorites. 2-3 oz. bottom bouncers. The heavy bottom bouncers keep a more vertical presentation allowing for depth control. Run about a 5-6' leader to the harness. If the lake has a lot of depth change and is weedy you might want to hold the rod in hand to make your adjustments as you go. If shallow you probably want to run boards to avoid spooking the fish. If I run multiple lines I keep the shallower ones on boards to avoid bottom and fish the deeper ones in rod holders. In lakes that have little weeds is where you can really have success pulling crawlers, especially over deeper flats. Run baits at .8-1.5 mph for the most. GPS is a must for speed and keeping on the fish. can it be luck?