• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

60hp johnson problem

fishingdad

Question

I have an 89' 3 cyclinder VRO 60 hp johnson. The problem I'm having is when I am at an idle or little above (trolling) for more than 10 or 15 minutes the thing will kill and then it is very hard to start, or if it doesn't kill when i go to take off it will bog down and I have to ease into it for 15 seconds or so before it starts to smooth out. I have replaced the ignition box for a weak spark and that didn't fix this problem and also I have disconnected the VRO and mix it 50/1 so I don't know? Fuel and spark are good, fuel filter is clean. Any suggestions? sorry for the long post but it is aggrevating as you know what. Thanks for any tips.

4 answers to this question

fishingdad does the motor seem to idle fine and then when you hit the gas it bogs down?If it does that you probably have some gunk in your carbs and they need to be flushed out.Ive had this happen to my motor a couple of times and it is pretty easy to flush them out.If this seems like the symtoms let me know and I can tell you how to flush them out.

My dad has the same exact motor and year. Next time it fails on you, take the hood off and you will find a small plastic red lever on the lower left hand side of the engine. This lever is the manual choke. Try turning it whichever direction and see if the engine will fire.

I know it sounds weird, but the electronic choke either automatically switch the choke into position while trolling, or after the engine was shut off it would engage/disengage the choke. It took 3 mechanics to figure out this little problem. The motor left us stranded many times over that ordeal.

We also replaced the reed valves in this motor, I believe, and it re-gained a lot of the performance. The VRO works great and the VRO was only a concern in the early 1980's motors from what I learned.

Good luck

To flush out the carbs locate the main jet on the bowl of the carb.The jet will be a brass nut that can be removed with a socket or screwdriver.It is best to use a socket or wrench to loosen if possible.On my yamaha 115 it is a 12mm.Before you remove the jet place a white rag below it so you can see what comes out with the gas and also if you happen to drop anything.Now you can remove the jet.After jet is removed squeeze ball several times to get a good flow of fuel to flow out of the jet hole.Also make sure nothing is in jet then replace.Do one carb at a time and check rag to see if any scale or gunk comes out with gas.If you have any questions on this feel free to give me a call and I can walk you thru it.763-241-1377