• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can some please explain this to me...

Mongro02

Question

I'm in the market to replace my new reels and rods...

Is there a difference with different numbers of bearings in a reel, say 2, 5, 6, 7, etc...

How does the bearing affect how the reel works?

Does gear ratio really matter, i've seen 5:1:1 and 6:1:1...is there a difference?

Anything I should look for when selecting a reel?

Any sites where I can research this information more in depth?

4 answers to this question

The difference between a reel w/two ball bearings and a reel with 5 ball bearings is feel and longevity. Often times, when you have a brand new 2 BB reel, and a 5BB reel, it’s hard to tell the difference. However, in two years the differences will be there. The more ball bearings, the more the friction is spread out, and the longer the reel will last. What’s also important is the drag…does it seem smooth? Try turning the spool with the drag set at different levels…the resistance will change but the way it turns against the reel shouldn’t. It should be consistent at all levels.

With gear ratio’s, it’s just how many times the reel turns for each crank of the handle, but not all spools are created equal. Notice the difference in size of spools from the diawa reels to the shimano reels. This will effect how much line is brought in with each crank.

seabass gave very good suggestions. I would add that i can not really tell if a drag works in the store. Most will work well by turning them by hand. It is when you put line on and pull the line that you notice quality. I have purchased a couple reels and returned them because of that. The drag was jerky and didnt like it, got my money back. I would maybe suggest having a price range in mind before shopping and get the best for your price. New toys are always a good thing!

The alternative to bearings are bushings, basically just a hole that the shaft spins in, a quality reel will have at least three or four ball bearings, a reel with two ball bearings will not have as long of a service life and will not be as smooth, because there are at least two bushings taking the shaft load, these will wear out, and the reel will become less smooth with use. A properly maintained reel with 3 or more ball bearings will last for many years.

i would just add! as was mentioned; the difference will show with time. one of the biggest things is to take care of your equipement. yearly cleaning and lubrication does wonders ! del