• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transom Saver ???

scalescratcher

Question

Researched the archives and thanks to the input of several experts have invested in a transom saver. I have a 115HP Johnson. Where should the saver attach to the motor to prevent damage and how should the motor be trimmed down to properly ride in the saver? Should I lower the motor to rest solely on the saver?

4 answers to this question

Attach to the lower unit. You want it to absorb as much of the bouncing as it can. This would have your motor trimmed down with clearence above to road surface, and the ability to go up rises without the motor tilting down into any surface.

You want all the weight on the saver and nothing on the power trim.

[This message has been edited by Chris Haley (edited 07-23-2003).]

I have the saver that locks into the rear cross-piece on the trailer (underneath the stern of the boat). My trailer is a Shorelander and is made to receive this type of transom saver--that is, the trailer has a hole in the center of the cross-piece designed to receive and hold one end of the saver.

My saver is adjustable in length (as I think all are), so I just did a little eyeballing and chose a motor height/angle that I was comfortable with. I do trim the motor down until the saver has taken the weight of the motor--it's pretty snug.

One last thing, which seems logical, but I'll mention it anyway. When using a saver model that taps into the trailer, make darn sure that your boat is tight on the trailer. If not, any bumps you drive over will cause the boat to bounce on the trailer which only results in wrenching on your hydraulics and, ultimately, the transom--original purpose thusly defeated.

Good luck!

Other words of advice for those who are thinking about purchasing a transom saver is:
When lowering the motor onto the transom saver, you'll know when the motor is in about the right position by the sound your hydraulics make (if you have power trim). I stop lowering the motor as soon as I hear the hydraulic system begin to labor (there's a distinct pitch you'll hear; the same as if you have tilled your motor too high or too low)at this time, I actually raise the motor just a fraction to compensate for the snug fit.

It should only take you a few times messing around in the driveway to determine which position is best for your set-up. Its defeinately wise to familiarize yourself with the removal/re-installation of the transom saver before venturing out for the first time.

Stephen