• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merc Optimax vs Yamaha HPDI

Diago

Question

I am ordering a Ranger 617 and am unsure which would be the fastest motor. I will order a 150 horse. I am sure they both are good motors but I would like top performance and top end speed. Please give me some advise as to which one to get.

Thanks

Jim

6 answers to this question

For speed I would recomend the Yamaha VMAX HPDIm 150. Awesome motor and will push that boat VERY nice. For a more complete motor dont forget about the 140 Suzuki 4 Stroke. I have been VERY impressed with that motor.

I would personally stay away from the Mercury, but that's my opinion. Either way select the motor that fits all your needs, not just top end speed.

dont know if your still looking for info on yamaha motors but they have a pretty good web side,then find performance bulletins then look for the boat u have or want and youll get a good idea of your top end,too bad u couldnt see that side by side with merc,,

Diago,

Order the V-Max HPDI. I own a 2002 150 V-Max HPDI that is the sweetest runnin outboard I've ever owned and I've owned a few. Good on gas and oil, starts INSTANTLY in all weather. It's a blast to drive. I'm shopping for a new rig right now and I won't consider anything but an HPDI. Nobody else comes close to the combination of performance and reliability that Yamaha is putting out right now. Good luck...

Thanks guys for your help! I ordered the HPDI, I considered the four stroke which will be available soon, but I had heard they are not as fast. I also ordered a Bob's jack plate to help increase performance. Have you had any experience with the jack plates?

Jim

Diago,

You wont go wrong with the HPDI VMAX, however the comments on the 4 Stroke Yammi being not so fast are just no true. If you go out to the Yamaha HSOforum and review the Performance Bulletins you will see that it pushed the ProV 1800 to 52 MPH!!! Not bad considering it is lighter that the HPDi and about $400 cheaper. Jusy my 2 cents.