• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chequamegon Bay?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Thanks, JKH431. We'll stop there for our licenses and to see what's what. It's pretty tough sitting here at work, anxious for our Friday's trip.
shocked.gif

MT are you going to be up there any other time this weekend or just friday?

The ice roads are fine in Ashland. Outdoor Allure said dont drive out there but when i was there Tues. 3/15 lots of trucks and us out there in a front wheel drive car. I have spent sooo much $$$ on 2 day non resident licenses cant wait till Apr. 1 to buy the whole season license just never thought the Bay could be so much fun.

Hi Scifisher!

I'm heading up with 2 of my brother-in-laws Friday morining. We should be in Washburn around noon. I beleive the plan is to stop at Outdoor Allure and get our licenses and maybe start fishing around that coal dock area. Check in time is 2 at the Super 8 motel.

We'll spend all day Saturday on the ice and Sunday morning, before heading home.

Are you heading that way, Scifisher? If so, stop by. Channel 7 on the FRS/GMRS radio.

We spent 2 days out in front of the Sioux River on the Bay in 26 feet to 33 feet of water. Pretty slow.

Lots of blips on the Vex near the bottom. We must have missed a dozen hits before downsizing to a small Sweedish Pimple and wax worm in hopes of whitefish. Weird. We ended up with over 3 dozen smelt, not what we were looking for, but it was action. Also, 1-2 pound makinaw, and 1 -3 pound herring were caught.

On an exciting note, after reeling up a smelt, a nice big brown trout followed it up, and swam 2 circles under our shack, about 4 feet below the ice before taking off. We never saw him again.

All in all, a fun weekend on the Bay.

MT I hear you on the slow fishing report.. after the weather switched out of the east, it really put the fish on hold a bit... but it should be good again now with our warming weather...

did you guys try in shallower then 26FT closer to the river mouth? Or did you see anyone catching fish up in close?

Friday around 3pm, when we got there, we saw 2 guys coming out empty handed. So, we thought maybe out deeper.

Also, that wind on Saturday wasn't fun. Only 1 other joined us and braved that wind. Tip-ups were burried in the snow, and that constant tent flapping was quite noisy. Tearing down and setting up again was a hassle in the wind.

Sunday, there were a lot of people out in front of the Onion. Of course it was a nice calm sunny day for a drive home.

We're still learning the bay.

MT

Bay fishing can be down right frustrating at times... The fish move so much it is hard to track them down... But early ice and late ice is the best bet for consistant fishing... the mid-winter bite, I usually move on to fishing lakers or inland... yesterday I fished the bay and we managed a few coho's, tons of smelt, and a few smallies...tried later for some 'eyes and that was a bust....

JKH431

Sunday before heading homeward, we investigated a tip from a fellow we met on the ice. He stated that a better whitefish area is up in Bayfield near Bodines. What we saw were some people fishing just off the road to Madeline Island.

I thought that was pretty deep out there, more for lakers. We'll try it our on another trip.

Thanks!

It is a good area off of Bodin's, but you have to compete with a local guy who has some commercial nets set near there... There are still whities to be had, but not as many like you see during early ice before he sets the nets there... A bonus there is that the splake and browns hang around the area too...

And you would be correct with the laker assumption for the guys off the ice road... it is an ok spot from time to time, especially if you have no machine to get you out into the islands or other places...

I'm going to be getting some time off from work the first week in April. Is the fishing season still open? Do you think the ice will last? I'd really like to make one last trip out to the bay, but I've got no time before then?

Sci

The ice should be good enough to fish on still.. if the weather stays the way it did today with the sun beating down on the ice, vehicle traffic probably wont be a go for the bay... There is two feet or more of ice in the bay... so just check the conditions at a local bait shop or post here before going and I should have a good idea of what is happening...

Bob, glad you made it home ok... you are the new smelt master of Chequamegon Bay... grin.gif

JKH431, I had a good teacher. grin.gif Northlander I was going to but the plans were changed friday morning. I heard you did good on red. Thanks for your help JKH431 and please tell Hannah thanks for the cookies, yummie. smile.gif

Smelt Master....don't let Jim fool you. Jim, paired with the Arctic Warrior, means trouble for the smelt. World record smelt fall. Hi Jim...hope things are well, was out by the old shack coordinates on Thursday, two nice coho and I missed a third. Will have to get together soon.

Yup we sure do Jason... I need your address too, gotta send an invite your way for the wedding...

Anyways, I showed Bob the secret Chequamegon Bay smelt dance and wouldnt ya know it.. he was on FIRE.. grin.gif Glad ya caught a few fish out that way... Next time down, ya should try out over by Second Landing later in the day for some 'eyes, I am sure they are pushing in there by the hundreds now... And perch/northerns too boot if you want to make a full day of it...

Just a post for anyone wanting to know about ice conditions around here... There is still fishable ice in the bay proper where travel should be limited to wheelers or snowmobile...but be careful as conditions are changing day to day with our warm weather... And sorry to say, the reports are not very good for catching fish... a few fish here and there... The ice north of Washburn is pretty much shot and the south channel is opening up quick, today it was open about half way across towards the sioux/onion area... People can still get out near the sioux and onion, where people had been catching fish, and then the rivers started flowing and the catches are down... And for lake trout fishing, my gear is put away for next season, the Madeline Island Ferry started running Friday and soon this ice will be gone...

I am hoping for a few more late ice trips, chasing after some Chequamegon Bay 'eyes and big pike...

Scratch that last post.. We had a heavy night of rain and the ice is shot... Gotta wait until she melts and sinks away now to get out there... Over here by Bayfield, the lake really opened up, it shouldnt be long now and we should be able to get boats out of here to troll up some trout/salmon...

Well most if not all of the snow down that way is gone... Rode through that way today going to get my boat out of storage... Easy walking, but could be a little hard to spot smaller sheds in the ground litter.. Up around me, there is still some snow on the ground, and shed finding has been good... Good luck on your search...