• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chequamegon Bay?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

went out of ashland today after hearing good reports for coho fishing but i guess this front we got really shut them down, no-one on the bay seemed to be getting much of anything and all i manged was one large (in my opinion) whitefish, a smelt, and a few small perch.

Well at least ya didnt get skunked Quick.. that is always a plus... I am gonna go give it a whirl tomorrow, taking my brother out for the first time this year... if nothing is happening off the coal dock, I will jump around a bit by the lighthouse...

Lota, did you get to fish the other day? And did ya get my e-mail?

I guess Sat, there were good reports for laker catches out in the islands. But the front probably turned them off for today. It seems it will snow one day, fish are off, nice the next day and the fish are biting. Now if we can get some stable weather, to keep them fish snapping good instead of off and on....

we fished around the orr and coal docks anywhere from 15 to 30 ft with no action, thought of heading out near the lighthouse but without seeing any other vehicles out that way i didn't want to chance driving out that far with my jeep.

Hey Northlander, Could you tell me about what time in March that walleye bite starts going good just by Superior. I am trying to line up about when to get my Grandson out of school and up here from Lincoln, Neb. to help me catch a few. Thanks.

Usually the second week in march is good. It can be a all or nothing deal though. Guys on the right depth can be pounding them and if your off by 5' your getting blanked. When its hot its HOT!

There is now a lot of ice packed in but only 2 days old. Nobody has been out yet. I may give it a shot next week if we keep the ice. Keep a eye out on the Duluthforum and Ill keep the info fresh.

Cool Steve, I will be sure to keep an 'eye out for an update as well.. no pun intended... grin.gif

Anyways, a report for today down in the bay... Fished second landing area for perch during the first half of the day, pretty slow for perch standards but we did pick up a few that were all released, nothing of size to talk about...

After my buddy had to leave I decided to poke around the shipping channel for a bit and picked up 11 smallies with the biggest being a little over 20 inches on a rough measurement, a few salmon (cohos and one small chinook), and two small 'eyes (roughly 14 or so inches) before dark. So all in all it was a good day fishing for mixed species. The new snow we got will make it a little difficult for vehicles to drive around but people were plowing roads to their permanent shacks, so people could drive these trails and then walk off them a ways to fish. No trails to speak of heading out towards the lighthouse, just people driving in larger 4X4's. This weekend is the annual fishing contest so it will be a bit nuts in the bay itself. If you are planning to fish up here this weekend, you will have lots of company..

Here are a couple shots of some smallies I got today, not too good of a photographer when I have to hold the fish and click the camera too... tongue.gif

05smallieice2mediumwebview6yk.jpg

05smallieicemediumwebview9oq.jpg

05smallieice1mediumwebview4jr.jpg

For those interested in laker fishing in and around the islands... it's snowmobile or nothing again with the recent snow we got... slush pockets are getting bad out there and along with some major snow drifts, getting around can be difficult... fishing is still hit and miss with some people having good reports and others getting skunked... with the bright sunny days we have had the past three days the slush will get worse and worse... be safe out there if your venturing around...

How has the laker bite been off the ice road lately. I will be coming up this sun ,mon , tues for some bobbing. I 'am bringing a buddy that has never bobbed before and would love to get him into some fish. I have fished

extensively in the area but moved 3 years ago from Ashland so i don't get out bobbing that often anymore maybe only 2-3 times a winter. My snowmobile is down so Hermit island area is out for us plus the slush reports don't sound good. If anyone has any info on the ice road bite i would be most thankful.

Wisconsin Point is just south of Superior. Take a left on Moccasin Mike Road and go about 2 miles or so and take the 1st left. Go about 1 mile or all the way to the end and you will see the parked vehicles and houses on the lake if we ever get good ice. Give me a holler at [email protected] and keep a look out on the Duluth forum. Thats where you will get the best and most up to date info.

BlackJack

I havent heard or seen any good reports from the ice road itself... there are people out there everyday so I am sure fish are being caught... it has been pretty spotty fishing everywhere this year for lakers... all ya can do is try.. I would stick in the 160FOW or less either on the Bayfield side or Madeline side... just move around a bit until you hook up with fish...

Fished the road today with the fiancee and a couple friends... two lakers... not to bad considering the time we were out there fishing... I spoke to the creel clerk who has been hearing/seeing good reports from the ice road itself and in and around the islands... its pretty tough traveling again with the slush... fish were caught on crooked hooks today..

The fishing in the bay is picking up... all species of fish are starting to snap again and moving in shallower again... The bite will improve better as the month wears on... A good two feet of ice in the bay still...

Bob,

Yeah, those are my days off, so I should be here... I will not be able to make the Rainy event because of work... the only reason i will not be around is if I take a trip over to Lake Gogebic to chase some perch....

Travel on the bay is great again, the last snow we had melted down and you can drive vehicles out and about the ice...

Send me your e-mail, and I will send you my contact info to keep in touch better.

Sounds like there's some action going on in the bay. I'm heading up Friday morning and will be fishing out of Washburn and will start near the coal dock and work from there. Going to target whitefish, coho, and trout. Any tips on what works or not? Thanks!

MT

I havent fished off the coal dock in Washburn at all this year but have heard of decent bites in and around the area... Trout species and salmon are moving in shallower now, so your chances of hooking up is good... I usually stick with jiggin spoons tipped with a lake shiner head and deadstick or bobber a whole shiner one a single hook... For whitefish, you can catch them on the same tackle or down size to smaller jigs if your are in shallower water.... Stop at Outdoor Allure just south of Washburn where Craig or whoever is working will give you info on the area you want to fish too... Good luck..

thinking of making one last ice fishing trip for the year to the bay on tuesday, anyone else got the AM open? i promised myself to hang up the ice tackle a few weeks ago but it's hard to stay away from the bay when the bite is on. hey jim, what depth would you suggest to get some coho's and trout?

Quick, stick to the shipping channel area if your fishing out of Ashland... just like early ice.... I heard from people there have been a lot of splake in shallow around the Onion so I would bet if someone were to go off Bono Creek.... they would pick up a few splake/browns in the shallows... Quick and MT let us know how you did...