• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS, under heavy tree cover

TomBow

Question

Hey dere guys!!

Me Gorok, me must be caveman, me don't have GPS!! Ok, what I am saying here is that it's time to get outtadacave and get some of that tek-no-lo-jee, looking at buying a GPS. I need a unit that receives signals well under heavy tree cover and in steep ravines. I've heard there are units that lose signal in these conditions and I am trying to avoid them. Don't want to get half way to the tree stand at o-dark thirty and have the GPS say "no signal". What do you non-caveman, GPS-advantages persons have to say about good units and units to avoid?

I need topo map loading memory. Many mapping units come with "big city maps", do you dump these when you get the unit? Seems to me, I can use a road map if I want to find my way around town, what I need is to get to my (shh!) secret treestand in the pitch black! won't you help an ignorant caveman out?? Thanks and Best of Luck!

10 answers to this question

I have a magellan Meridian Marine that I can upload maps to it from Mapsend Topo® and have been nothing but impressed with the performance of the unit. The only time I have a hard time getting a signal is if I'm indoors .. but if I turn it on outside anywhere and walk inside I will have a signal. I have never lost a signal anywhere, and we use this unit riding off into the middle of nowhere on the ATV's also (very deep woods).

The uploads will show elevations, lakes, and very accurate road maps. The reason I bought the unit origionaly is the shoreline detail, navagational markers, marina's, etc are preset in the GPS .. it really comes in handy on the water, and on the road (so much easier than breaking out the map).

They are not the cheapest units, but I feel they are the best. $419 got the unit, 16 Mb memory card, PC cable, Mapsend Topo, and a Ram mount. The 16 MB card has enough memory to hold a detailed map of an area far larger than Minnesota.

In the end you will get what you pay for when it comes to a GPS.

The built in map on the GPS shows many lakes and fair shoreline detail, also shows marina's, navigational markers(big waters) etc. The map from the Mapsend Topo program is the actual map that will upload to the GPS from your PC. This means shoreline detail accurate to less than 10' on all lakes in the area you upload, and will show elevations in the area if you desire, not to mention COMPLETE road detail.

[This message has been edited by Fisher Dave (edited 07-07-2003).]

Fisher Dave:

I too am very impressed with the Meridian Line of products from Magellan. I bought a Platinum unit 2 weeks ago and have had very good luck with it. I can take it in my vehicle, turn it on and it will work as expected without having it near a window, which is more than I can say about the Garmin Rino 120 we bought for my father-in-law for Christmas. It will also work in buildings where the Garmin can't get a signal. To tell you the truth I haven't even loaded the documentation CD to take a look at the owners manual as the Platinum's navigation is much easier in my opinion when compared with the Garmin. I just 'played' with it for a little bit to figure out marking waypoints and other navigation.

I will eventually take a look at the owner's manual on CD to figure out the more complicated functions, but I have been pleasantly suprised with the Magellan Platinum and look forward to plotting lots of waypoints, especially when winter rolls around.

Take care,

SUNNYD

keep 'em comin' fellas and thanks for responding Sunny D. I really gonna be starting from scratch having no experience whatsoever with GPS receivers. I read a review of the rino saying that it was a decent unit. Interesting to know that the reception was not great. It appears that my situation (heavy tree cover and ravines) will limit the units that will work. I need a unit that's gonna cover both bowhunting and ice-fishing. Obviously ice fishing situations, full open sky is gonna be easier for the GPS to handle.

Thanks again.

Good info here. I've owned Magellan, Garmin, and Lowrance gps's now and have to say that all units have had their pros and cons. I still own my Magellan 330map and am happy with it. Functionally, its about the same unit as the Meridian.
As far as figuring out how to run one, not too tough. Read some instructions and play with it- you don't need an advanced degree to figure them out.
If I were to buy one today, I'd buy the Magellan Sportrack. Nice unit, pretty affordable, easy to use.
Scoot

I have found the Magellan to be VERY user friendy in most cases. There are some advanced settings that can be toyed with that it a bit more complicated .. but I have never found a need to use what cant be easily accessed under any situation .. The biggest problem I had was figuring out how to turn the light on (no manual on trip and was dark) . low and behold you just hit the power button for any of the 3 light settings(who would think of that?).

The Magellan is very strait forward and everything is right in front of you. The most common adjustment is zooming in and out which is done by the push of the button. Waypoints are set by holding in a button for a second and its done...

I honestly cant see how it could be any less complicated than it is now with the excellent feautures the unit has.

In an un-biased, side by side comparison, the Magellan Sporttrak Pro was the best at aquiring satelites, and the least likely to let them go once locked. That said, you can find this Geek consumer report at:
http://gpsinformation.net/

As far as learning them, no mfgr. of these machines would sell them if they didn't pander to "cavemen" like you and me. If reading the manual does not work, GPS Outfitters makes a video tape that assumes you can't operate a telephone, and talks you through the whole thing. Nice stuff.......

Or you can P.M. me and I can send you to my place of work and help you as well.....

[email protected]

Thanks FisherDave! How about learning to use the unit? I've heard that the Magellan instructions take a master's degree to figure out, what was your experience?

Gotta say that I just picked up the magellan Meridian Gold and had a $50 rebate on it. The reviews on the gps info site were pretty good. Signal acquisition has been great and easy to use like others have said. I like the size and the slightly bigger screen than the etrex units had. Easier on these old eyes!! The CD manual is straight forward and handy for more compmicated functions but how many of us will really use them?? Nice unit for $250.

HEY, let us know what you get and how you like it.
I'm getting one this fall as well.
I know alot of guys use the Garmin for fishing and i like they way it looks myself, becasue of how it shows YOU moving along on the screen.
How is the mag. sporttrack compared to say, the garmin 12?
I know nothing much at all about gps.
I will also be useing it for icefishing and possibly hunting as I will be scouting some new hunten spots this fall.

thanks

[This message has been edited by Dano2 (edited 07-08-2003).]

Once again I just have to say that us fishin' types seem to be real willing to bring our brethren outta of the cave (clouds of ignorance) and into the light (knowledge). And I appreciate it! gpsinformation.com has some good information as does Jessie's Hunting Page (good links) about GPS units including reviews.

Thanks again and more are welcome to respond! You guys is so kewl!! Best of Luck!