• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone use a COLOR gps fishing?

Slyster

I am in the market for a GPS (just sold an older B&W handheld unit) and am probably going to get the Garmin Vista... but my question is about b&w vs color. From my past experiences (with laptops etc..) I imagine that b&w gets better with sunlight and color screen would get worse.

Does anyone use a color GPS and could you tell me how it looks in FULL sunlight? I would love color.. but NOT if it is harder to see in my boat under the full summer sun!

I had a Garmin GPSMAP 168 sounder which was black and white. I purchased a Garmin 188c last summer and it is definitely easier to see in direct sunlight. I have it mounted on my console and you can see it from the back of the boat even on a sunny day.

Thanks for the reply... after LOTS of searching.. newgroups.. webpages.. running to Gander a few times.. I settled on the Garmin GPS 76CS. I think that will be ideal for fishing (floats!) as well as camping/traveling. Very slick! Found it for $385 online (after rebate)... not a bad price considering it's $550+ at local outlets and Amazon.com!

Got it. WOW is all I can say! Great unit. Screen is easier than I thought to see in sunlight and the backlight is really bright too. Very fast operating system too. Electronic compass will be great in boats.. since you can set "track up" and the map rotates with you so I won't get disoriented anymore like with my last unit.