• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planer boards

Norco

Question

Can someone explain to me how a planer board works. I fish in a small shallow lake/res and never see them. Im planning to fish a large deep lake and was told to try them. Also what lures work best with them.

6 answers to this question

Well theres 2 types. I think their inception prolly came from the great lakes fishing. Which are a alternative to Outriggers. Purpose is to spread lines out away from the boat. When you can run 2 to 3 lines per person you can see their need.
The great lakes type planner board uses a mast with a main line that connects to a trolling board. The trolling boards have a angle on their leading edge. When its pulled through the water its that angle that pulls the board away from the boat. So now you have your board tracking parallel to the boat connected by the main line. You take a release that has a clamp on one end and a ring on the other end that will slide down your main line. You let out the desired amount of line on your rod then attach you fishing line to a release then hook you release to the main line and let it run down to the board. Do the same thing for the next rod while keepin your lines apart. When a fish hits it will pull the fishing line from the release.

Inline boards are smaller boards that use no main line or mast and connect directly to you fishing line. Each rod will need it own board. One brand is yellow Bird. Detailed instructions come with them. These are the types of boards you would most likely use and most walleye guys use.
When would you use them? Well like stated above to spread out lines while trolling suspended fish, also when fishing top water where the boat would spook fish. Another time is say your trolling raps tight to shore, run that board right in there tight. Spinners and stick baits work well with boards.

Newbie with the boards myself. Another concept (or at least in my mind) is allowing you to work in tight with shorelines or reefs maybe in a more stealthy manner. No propwash or kicker poppin along. The boards I have, which are larger, are old Finlander homemade school. They are weighted at the keel and incorporate a downrigger type line release mounted to the back of the board. Thus you let the ammount of line back you want, clip, then release the board out. You can also mount multiple line releases to the cable leading out to the planer. All in all another technical approach, more fun, and more toys for the wife to complain about.

chunky

For what it's worth, over about fifteen years we've worked with probably a half dozen different board brands. Without question, the simplest and most functional board I've used are the ones by Church Tackle-- the Mr. Walleye Board, TX-24 for heavier applications, and TX-12 and TX-6 for lighter applications. Real easy to snap on and off, and the releases work extremely well with the superbraids-- won't slip in most cases. Good products like these sure make the fishing life a whole lot more fun!

-a friend,
Cory Schmidt

One plus to the offshore planer boards that I think is cool is the tattle flag It replaces the flag your board comes with. The flag is spring loaded and it drops when you get a fish on or a snag.

------------------
Jimmy