• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing reports?

Was going to try and find some fishable ice but it was 46 up here in the northeast so figured it would be a waste of time!! But it is supposed to be well below freezing for the next couple of days so I will be going next weekend!! Will keep all posted on my luck!!!

GOOD FISHING!!! grin.gif

Some guys went out yesterday up north and came back with fish. I didn't see the fish but they posted a comment on my stores guestbook. They were using artifcial leeches from Uncle Josh that I guess earlier in the day had purchased from me. Well I hope the weather forecast continues to hold true for the next week. It now looks like we'll have a mild day on Wednesday, but then again cooling down. Let's continue to pray for cold!!

Fished on Pelican Lake this morning, 3-4 inches of ice, the lake was covered completely. Only caught 2 walleyes right in the morning. 4 others fishing, should be plenty solid for the rest the year. When i drove home from watertown to webster noticed that swan was almost completely froze over. Noticed 2 portible shacks on it also, diddnt stop had an obligation to attend to laugh.gif

If you smart about reports like that, you wouldn't post them on internet forums....lol

They are catching saugeyes there 16-18" but the ice is very shaky. Some areas are ok, but there is a lot of areas that are extremely dangerous, some open water still. Be carefull!

JerkPerch, the internet is the best place to post fishing info. You can lie on a much broader scale. Like on Tony Dean where some dude sent people to a pothole maybe 2 acres up by Oldham. I didnt do that but I tip my hat to whoever it was.

If you are referring to two years ago when people on Tony Dean's web site were talking about catching all kinds of walleye on a pond by Clark, they weren't lying. My family, as well JerkNPerch caught plenty of wallyes out there that winter and the following summer. It was a blast!

No i remember that post tho. Isnt that where one dude said, HOT HOT HOT and another said it was slow? This was a different post but about the same time. The same guy who lied about the slough by Oldham also said they were catching fish by the Madison ethanol plant. Its a duck slough with about 2' of water, but you could see where holes had been drilled. My wife has relatives in Clark and I get the play by play on the ice fishing up that way. I fish Clark county quite a bit but north of there. I love fishing those sloughs.

While I can't give and ice report I can give an open water report! cool.gif

I was driving home from Brookings in the fog and just could not stand I knew the fish had to be on. I was right. Fished Sinai yesterday afternoon and did rather well considering I was nearly frozen after an hour. Had to jump spots a few times before I was able to find active fish. Once I did it was on! Kept 2 16"ers for dinner and released abunch more. Lately the fish have been rather unpredictable out there. They have been in one spot one day and a diferent spot of the same type another day.

I will be out and about trying to sneak on the ice this weekend. I drive a black and grey Dodge Ram with a topper and fish out of a old Fish Trap III (that looks like it has been through a war), So if you see me feel free to stop and say hi. I will most likely try for Oak Lake at first light tomarrow. Otherwise it will be in the boat on Sinai this evening for sure.

Sounds like its gonna be a nice weekend!

mw

No,

I really don't think many are fishing. I have yet to see another fishman on Sinai in the last month. The only person I see is a SDSU grad. student tracking perch.

The few times I been to the Lake Thompson state park to check ice there was not a sole in the parking lot. If you are staying in the area overnight look me up I will be bar tending at the bowling alley in Arlington. You may see my pick up at Schaffer's slough tomarrow afternoon!

mw

Not sure who is driving and who is taking the boat (3 options on all of these!!), but if you see a pickup at the ramp with Iowa plates, it probably will be us!!

It is going to be a day trip, since the weather is going to take a turn to much colder!!

There is some, up north they have been fishing on buffalo lake about 3-5 inches of ice. Swan was looking good but the wind,duck,geese, are keeping it open.

Some of the sloughs are fishable. I am just leaving now to go check on some ice. I know waubay is open though, some ice but not enough. I will report back, heard pickeral had some good ice.

Too bad you're not coming up. Had another great night on Sinai. My partner did most of damage tonight, I jsut could not get them in the boat at least I got to see the one I released early. Largest one was 21".

Still not sure were i'm headed in the morning!

mw

Skis: You were wondering about Thompson, well they're catching quite a few fish from the boat and the Grade. We've weighed in at least a half dozen 'eyes over 7 lbs. this past weekend at the store. I'm in the process of updating the store's fishing report page to include some of the open water bite. Get it out of your system now because it looks like colder air will be moving in this next week. smile.gif

You may as well forget about the open water thing! The landing was locked up this morning. One boat broke ice to get to the lake. Shouldn't be long until Shaffers bay will be fishable. I was on the ice on shaffers's slough and they just were'nt going. Had a few flags fly but nothing to show for except for a few perch.

Ice is a little shaky in spots use caution if you venture out.

Lake Henry had quite few people on it.

mw

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you guys are gona have to put the ice fishing on hold for a while. Was up north goose hunting this weekend and with the wind on sunday, most lakes and sloughs have opened up. Everything around Arlington, Thompson, Preston ect are wide open. Even little potholes are now ice free. Was up as far as Webster/Sisseton and didnt see much for ice at all. Sorry to post bad news,

Andy