• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A Fishing Minnesota Outing

I thought since we are rather far away from the FM Ice Leaders tourneys we could have a outing to meet each other and put some faces with the names. I know some of the other forums have done this and had some very good turnouts.

There will be fishable ice in the next week or so I would like to hear any thoughts about a date, time and place for a gathering.

My thoughts would be to have the first one( assuming there would be more to come) on Lake Thompson's Schaffers Slough. This is the slough near the overflow parking lot at the State Park. There is usually a somewhat reliable bite for walleyes, perch, crappies and N. pike. It is an easy place for people to find and fairly small in size so a meeting place might be easy. The downfall is it is usually crouded and can kill the bite.

Waubay would be another good place. We would have to have a safe easy to find location and it will be a while until we can drive on.

What does everyone think? Any other places? When would be the best time. How many would come?

mw

I would like to fish Schaffer Slough with you. Just let me know when. Caught a lot of nice walleyes there last year. It would be nice to put faces to names. Sure wish it would start making good ice and quit warming up!

I will be in Wilmot SD on the 17th -19th and would love to meet some more fmers if any of you SD guys want to get together that weekend for some ice fishing or pheasant huntng anything to get me from just sitting at the in-laws. Adam

Mike I'm out in the South Dakota on and off all winter long fish Waubay and some others if you have a get together I'd like to try to make it and meet some of you. Parents live on Big Stone so if things get slow, head west is what I say.

i'm originally from south dakota and if you had anything on the east side of the state i would be in.

waubay is usually decent, never fished thompson or shaeffers slough but would love to give it a shot. i think i could round up some buddies from around brookings too. hopefully that would get them onto the sd forum here.

I went to a Walleye Central "Get together" a couple years ago. It was really fun. We all met at the State park landing at noon, had a beer or two, threw in $5 for a big fish contest, then went fishing. About 7:00, we all went to the Northshore for some grub and drinks.

They picked Martin Luther King weekend for the date. That way the people that had to travel a long distance could make a decent weekend out of it.

Okay, how about this coming Sat. Is that enough notice or should we have it the following Sat. ? Anyone have any lake preferences? I have been catching small walleyes on the 81 Ponds. We can even make it in the Waubay area. If we can get at least 10 people or so that would be great.

Post up if you are interested!

Mike

Hey Mike, I have fished it a couple times is all, but did real well on the bluegills, that was last year on the southwest side, they call it Indian Bay, I think. So I am not sure about the bite this year yet but maybe you will get some good info on here!! Let us know if you want to get together some where to, it sounds like fun!!! grin.gif

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD FISHING!!!

Enemy Swim is not the best place to have an outing i think. The Gills are pretty small and prettty boring to catch i think. If you stay all night and fish with chubs you can catch 8-10lbs walleyes. I would put the outing on Bitter because the walleye bite is great all day and you can get some dandy perch.

Sorry Eyes,I have family with a cabin on Enemy Swim and have fished it often on both hard and soft water and have done well at all different times of the day for both walleye and bluegill. And I will challenge anybody to find better gill fishing in northeastern SD. I think Enemy Swim is an excellent choice, what with its clean water and beautiful scenery, not to mention its variety of different species of fish. There are many fish just as or more exciting to cath as walleye, all tho you may not get the same recognition for being a good panfisherman as you would get for being a good walleye fisherman. I like to be well educated on all of them and the only way to do that is to be an oppertunist. the best fisherman is the one who can adapt to all species. REMEMBER: IT IS NOT CALLED CATCHING IT IS CALLED FISHING

It sounds like Jan 22 will be it. I have no problems with going to Bitter. If no one else speaks up it Bitter it will be! It should be fun. Who plans on coming? We will set up a meeting place closer to the day.

mw

P.S. Make sure your propane tank is filled up for the weekend. Sounds like it's gonna get chilly grin.gif

Doesn't sound like the 22nd, will work for me mite be going to Minnesota to go fishing, I still don't know why?? grin.gif fishing is alot better here, but a friend asked me so I guess I have to go!! grin.gif If not it sounds like a plan to me, we will be there!!!

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD FISHING!!!

Jan 22 works for me, I think Bitter will be better than Enemy Swim. A week before the outing i will fish hard to find the best fishing spot if we want to choose a lake a week before the outing, also i did real good on pelican and that might be closer for others, doesnt matter to me.