• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund or Alumacraft ?

Rainman

Question

I will be getting a new boat and wondering which to get, I hope all you guys can help me decide! Do I spend more on a Pro-V 1775 or Tourn-pro 175? I really don't fish big water a whole lot, just sometimes. OR do I get a Pro-angler 16 or a Magnum 165 and save a little? It will be fun to see what everyones opinions will turn up. Hopefully I didn't open up a can of worms here either! Thanks

Rainman

22 answers to this question

rainman.. not sure if your looking for brand new but in the forsale section there is a pro-v 1800 forsale 2003 model so it must be almost brand new but not with the brand new price tag might want to check it out... i have lund myself pro-v 1800 love it and my buddy has 1775 pro-v and loves his.. but alumacraft make very solid boats also.. tough decision you have let us know what you get??? but do check out the on on this forum sounds good.

have fun deciding get both boats on the water and run them then you will know what you want.. that's the only way to decide on a boat.. out on the water...

have fun

I just bought a Pro Angler 16 and love it. I was up at a resort this past week where everyone had a lund. There was a smaller 2000 pro V tiller that was almost identical to my boat other than a little bit longer and it had nicer cleats.

I'm sure other people will have different opinions, but if you are looking at a smaller Pro-V tiller, I'd recommend looking at the Angler. The only thing that I regret not having is longer rod lockers. I can only fit 6'5" rods in the locker. Check out the additional features of the ProV and see if it's worth the extra cost for you.

Wally H

Rainman
I just bought an Alumacraft TP175CS which is the single console model. I looked at both boats side by side at a dealer and liked the Alumacraft more. They both great boats so what it may come down to is personal preference on small things. I didn't like the way the rod locker on the Lund 175ProV stuck out--which may matter more on the console model than on the tiller- I felt I would be tripping on it every time I got out from behind the wheel. I also liked how the Alumacraft had carpet on top of the gunnels- the Lund was painted. Like I said there were many silly things that I preferred which is why I chose the Alumacraft because overall both boats are great. Try to get a look at them side by side to see the minor differences-- it may help you in your decision.

Both great boats, no doubt. I own an Alumacraft T-Pro 170CS and I fish lots of big water. This boat holds up great. I love the 2XB hull.

Bbear is right. Look closely at what each boat has to offer and decide from there.

I've heard really good things about Alumacraft's customer service from other owners.

I picked up a new 17' Angler tiller with a 75hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I don't know much about Alumacraft but I love my boat! I guess I'd decide how much horse power you want. My 17' was only rated for 80 horses while the exact same model with the console was rated for 130. I do wish that I could get the 115 yamaha but the 75 is a sweet motor!

My family bought a tournament pro 175 two years ago. We love it. The main reason we went with the Alumacraft is that at the time they had the wider gunrails with carpet. The one thing i would really look into if I were you is a four-stroke motor. We have a Honda 90 horse 4-stroke. It is very good on gas, but the main reason for having a four-stroke is because it is so quiet and has absolutely no smoke.

I just got a T-pro 175 with a Yamaha 90 tiller. Upgraded from a competitor with a 60 tiller. The 2XB hull is much stiffer and handles waves better than the old one. I think Lund and Alumacraft are pretty similar in quality, Lund tends to be more expensive. If you can swing the cost of the T-pro over the magnum it is worth it, the storage and space are really nice. Boat trailers very well and is not difficult to handle. I was a little worried about the size as it is 1 1/2' longer and wider than the old rig but I haven't had any troubles yet.

I have nothing against Alumacraft. I've owned 2 Lunds and will be upgrading to a new Lund in a year or two. There's a reason they have the best resale. They are built to take a beating and have a great reputation. Tough call, but what a great decision to have to make!

I totally agree with Mykal that it's a tough call and that you're in an enviable position. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Buy the boat that will accomidate your needs best and don't worry about name (at least if you've narrowed it down to Lund and Alumacraft)- both are great products.
Scoot

Rainman: I'll bet there are hundreds if not thousands of people who would love to have your problem. Any way you look at it, you are in a win-win situation. I run an older 1775 Pro-V Lund. {1992} I just hung a 75hp Yamaha 4-stroke tiller on it, and, happy, happy,happy!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies! So far I am leaning toward the T-Pro 175 With a 90hp Yamaha 4 Stroke on the back! Anybody know anything about the Suzuki's Four strokes?Thanks again!

Rainman

Rainman...I am going to go with everyone else and not answer too much for you. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I personally run a 2000 1775 Pro V with a 4 stroke Merc on the back and love it. I would have been in your same shoes but I picked mine up in Sept. 2000 and it was the exact color that I wanted and with the 2000 fishing season winding down I got a rather good deal (I think). A couple of thoughts though.

I believe the Tourny Pro 175 is a little wider and longer and can handle 10 more HP's on the back then the Pro V 1775. I personally don't care for the floor rod locker that sticks out into the lower deck of the boat on the Pro V 1775 (1800 doesn't have that). I would say the Tourny Pro 175 matches up better against the Pro V 1800. I would look at sticking a 4 stroke on the back and I would get the max. hp that the boat is rated for (or close to it). If an Alumacraft is less expensive and will allow the pocket book to hang a larger motor on the back then that is the route I would go. If money isn't that big of an issue that you are back to checking them out side by side and looking at the little things that you like with one or the other. Good Luck!

WW

I think for quite some time everyone was chasing Lund to be the best. By looks of it, a few of them have gotten pretty close. I still think Lund has a bit of an edge. If you're after longevity and holding its value, I'd lean toward the Lund.

Just my humble opinion.

When I bought my boat a few years ago, it came down to those "silly things". Both are quality boats. Look at the layouts, storage and such. I love my Alumacraft Competitor 2 XB, though they don't make that model anymore. A couple things to consider: Max out the HP rating if you can afford it. Also check with dealers and see if they have any previous year models, brand new. That can save quite a bit. Also, I bought all my own accessories ( trolling motor, graph, battery charger, etc...) and had the dealer set it all up at no charge instead of they're own package. A good dealer will do this for you. Good luck and enjoy.

Rainman...
Don't know many people with a Suzuki. From what I do hear they are fine. If your still curious about them put up a post in the Brainerd forum Labeled "WalleyeDan". I believe that he runs a 90hp 4 stroke Suzuki on the back of his rig (1800 Lund). I personally run a Merc. 75hp 4 stroke and haven't had any problems with it. I know many people that run Yamaha's and haven't heard any complaints either. The one thing that I will mention is that unless you are doing a lot of running with your new rig I would try to run non-ethenol gas in it and throw in a can of Sea Foam with every fill up. Yes, year round. Mechanic from where I bought my rig told me that. Seems to keep things running smooth between fishing expeditions. This is from my experience and others that I know that run 4 strokes and outboards in general. Might make more of a difference because my motor is carborated and larger ones are EFI but it can't hurt. Might have to do a little searching for non-ethenol gas. I luck out and they have it in town. Bottom line is that rig that you mentioned above with the Yamaha would be an absolute sweet rig!!! You will make plenty of people jealous with it shocked.gif. Take Care.

WW

I agree with WaveWacker go with non-ethanol gas 92 octane. I’ve found it at Conoco and Standard oil, it’s usually labeled for classic cars and off road use (they still charge the gas tax though). Some marinas carry it also.

I use it in both my boats, 1999 Magnum 165 and 2000 Crestliner 1850 Sportfish and have had no problems, store them filled and add Stabil. Also use it in all small engine equipment, it’s nice when you pickup a chain saw that has sat for months and it starts second pull.

Had a mechanic tell me that ethanol will start breaking down in less than 30 days of storage (nonuse) works good in cars because usually never sits in tank that long.

Enjoy your dilemma!