• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Iowa Ice Report

Too much wind--there are supposed to be cold temps on the way for a couple days, but that won't matter if the winds stay at thirty MPH.

Goodyy7, I am guessing you are goody from IO--I am VikeFan over there. All the Viking names were taken here, so I had to come up with something different. cool.gif I think I've seen Whiskey on IO as well.

Two chances: Slim and None. Talking temps in the mid 40's by late week, even though we're going to have a couple of cold nights before then. Last I heard there was talk of sailing the Queen on West New Years' Eve again. They did this a couple of years ago when we had such a mild December. There may be some ice by then, but not likely to be thick enough to be safe. Angler's Bay typically is fishable before the rest of the lake, so I suppose that is a possibility if we get some cold weather.

As of this morning, there is maybe a half inch of ice on the ponds here in Coralville. Yesterday, they were still open. If we got two more nights like last night, they would be ready to fish. Problem is, it is supposed to get up to forty-five tomorrow, and stay there for the rest of the week. mad.gif This waiting for ice is driving me crazy!

Quote:

So, how's the ice? Anybody been to Cornelia, ponds,...?

I am located in Coralville, so I can't give you first-hand information about Cornelia. However, over on iowaoutdoors.org, some guys in that part of the state have been talking about the fishing conditions on Cornelia, Morris, and other water in that area.

There will be icefishing this weekend! If I have to drive to Minnesota to do it that's fine. Seriously, I think the smaller shallower ponds will be locked up by Saturday with the new temps they are forcasting. I'll be doing an ice check tonight at a pond that is iced up by my house. I'll report what I find. I'm in central Iowa.

I checked one of the ponds by my house(central Iowa) last night. It was froze all the way accross and had 1 3/4" of ice on it. A couple more nights of cold temps should lock it up for good. Sunday looks to be the day to start locking everything up down here.

Be safe if you venture out on the ice this weekend!

come on up to the cities, it is on right now, this weekend is going to be the biggest push of icefishermen yet...it has been a LATE ice. I feel for you guys! The perms are going to be out the day after christmas i gaurentee it. pack the trucks and head up for the weekend.