• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

making goose silhouettes

Me and a buddy are planing on making some goose silhouettes. I guess you could say were to cheap to go out and bye some. So my question is what would be a good material to build them out of. We were thinking 1/4 ply wood. or would cardboard work just fine?

cardboard will not last and plywood would be too heavy / would rot and look crappy....most people use that corrugated plastic board or that fiberglass stuff...could probably find it at Mills Fleet Farm or maybe at some kind of craft store....we've always talked about making them but have never followed through with it...

let us know how they turn out.

wdw / sartell angler

well we found some wood must be about 3/8 or so from some old pallets a buddy had. We made a 12 of them and surprisinly they actually look pretty good. I'm a little scared now that you said they may rot. I'll guess we'll have to see how they hold out this weekend.

well I guess if you cover all the surfaces with paint, that should prevent them from rotting now that I think about it...don't know if there is any type of sealer that you could use that wouldn't be too glossy...might want to look into that if you are gonna be using them year after year.

good luck-- I hope you shoot your limit over your hand-made decoys!

wdw/SA

You will be all right with plywood silos. As long as you don't store them out under a snow bank, and even then you have a chance of it lasting for years. My dad has an old utility trailer that he build 20 years ago and it sits outside and the 3/8" plywood sides and floor are still in very good shape, he has repainted it a couple of times though.

Corrugated plastic board or fiberglass would be ideal. It would be lighter for packing into a field. I know a couple of guys that build some out of election lawn signs and they look really good.