• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beeping noise on 75 Merc

92python

Question

Does anyone know what a prolonged beep means on a 1992 75 Merc?

When I am low on oil I get a beeping noise but last weekend I was getting a prolonged beep especially when giving it a little gas. I turned the engine off then re-started and the beeping would generally stop for a while. The beeping was intermittent, the motor was spitting water well and didn't seem too hot.

I was having to drive through some very shallow muddy water every day but like I said the motor was kicking water out nicely. I was wondering if the dirty water way have messed up a sensor somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

6 answers to this question

When was the last time your water pump was serviced, if the impeller needs replacing you might have problems with cooling. The sound could be your temp. alarm. I had the same problem once and the water was coming out also.

[This message has been edited by Chris Haley (edited 06-23-2003).]

I've had thermostats freeze up on me too. Water still flows when the thermostat is shut on my small Honda outboard.

With a lot of use the impeller should be replaced at least every 2 years. With a worn impeller it won't cool the engine properly at idle speed.

There are 4 different alarms on my boat. One is "Check Engine" (meaning a dealer fix!) another is "low oil", "engine temp", and "no oil". Luckily a light illuminates to tell me which one it is. All have the constant beep for about 15 seconds.

My engine temp alarm went off this past weekend on my boat. Lots of weeds plugged up the water intake and there was no water flow.

92python, outboards have differnt alarm warning signals for a variety of purposes. The most common for Mercury is the fast beep which is a signal that your oil level is low and to add more oil. The prolonged steady beep generally means your engine sensor is reading an overheat. The first thing to do is to replace the sensor to make sure it is not defective and giving a false reading. This is generally the case as these sensors get old and give false readings. If this is not the case then replace the water pump and progress to bringing it in for service.