• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When does it make sense to upgrade to 4 stroke?

lumpy

Question

I've got a big (75) tiller and am looking to upgrade to a 4 stroke. When does it make sense to do this or does it? Is there much of a market for my original motor? I've found a good deal on one but am wondering how much trouble it is to sell my 2 stroke motor? I'm pretty much sold on the benefits of a 4 stroke and since I backtroll a lot there would be a big savings in gas, noise, and smell from the 2 stroke. Anyone have any experience with this?

3 answers to this question

I found it depends upon the age of your motor and boat. When I looked at upgrading to a 4-stroke the difference between what I could get for 2 stroke compared to the cost of a new 4 was huge. Like 6000.00 cash. It made more sense to sell the package and get a whole new rig. I had a 94 boat with a 60 tiller.

I upgraded my 15' 96 Smoker Craft last year. When I bought it from a friend a few years ago, it had an undersized motor that didn't cut it on power. I liked the boat, so I put on a 40 HP Merc four stroke and traded in my old motor at the dealer. It was the best thing I ever did! I will probably run this rig for a long time. (at least that is what my wife says)

A 4 stroke will be well suited for your application.

Here's the difference: After owning the 4 stroke for 2 years, your trade value will be almost equal to the purchase price (before tax and tiller kit) of the equal h.p. for the current model year (would be 2005) in a 2 cycle engine.

That's value.

Selling your outboard outright is probably the best way for money's sake. However, it's much easier to have the dealer remove it, and install a new one. I fear disapointment in the trade value of your current motor though.

It was earlier mentioned, package deals can be much better overall, and might be worthwhile to investigate.

Good luck and good fishing.