• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FL-18 on a boat? How well do they work?

Mankato-Ice-Man

Question

I am looking to put a depth finder on my boat and am torn between buying the summer transducer for my Fl-18 or buying a bottom line side finder 1200. Both are about the same price (79 and 89 dollars respectivly).

Has anyone used thier FL-18 for summer fishing from the boat? If so, what degree of transducer do you recommend? If it helps, I will probably be fishing shallower lakes, less then 25' deep, and may venture over to the Mississippi from time to time (twice a year, at most), but doubt I would be fishing much deeper then that there either.

As always, thanks in advance for the great information I usually get by posting my questions here.

Jeremy

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!

[This message has been edited by Mankato-Ice-Man (edited 06-19-2003).]

6 answers to this question

I would chose the FL-18 for sure, and go with a 12 or 19 degree ducer.

You will learn more using the Vexilar then with the Bottomline, especially on rivers.

You can use the puck ducer and shoot through the hull on either a glass or a metal boat. This is a great option for cross use of the FL-18.

tip003-2.gif

Check out the Vexilar web site for tips on this method of mounting puck ducers. They have a lot of good info there that will help you decide what is best for your circumstances.

www.vexilar.com/help/tips.html
small-logo.gif
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

get_file.html?mid=172

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 06-19-2003).]

I am with Backwater Eddy.

With the FL-18 in the boat you will be without disapointment. I have used a Vexilar in the open water for 10 years now, many of those along side an LCG, and found 90% of the time I had the LCG turned off.

The only drawback, if it is much of one, is you don't have the constant "record" of what you've just gone over.

I run the 19 degree high speed ducer on my transome, and it reads well even at 35 mph.

When we go to Canada and bring the 12' boats back into the woods, I bring my ice box and battery, and my ice ducer. Put a little water on the floor of the boat, set the ducer in it, and it shoots right through.

Go with the Vex in my opinion.

thanks

Good fishing

FL-18 without question. I have my transducer on my bow mount trolling motor. This thing is a life saver when you are looking for minor differences down there. I have it up front because I have an x85 otherwise and that is alot handier when searching at speeds because of the history.

I would have said the exact same thing as united jigsticker!! I have a Hondex I've been using on all my boats for at least the last 15 years. Great portable unit too with the ice box.

I often see more fish with the flasher when comparing to what my Lowrance tells me. It REALLY helps eliminate "dead" water for those finicky walleyes. wink.gif

I went through the same dilemma only it was before the FL-18. I bought the fl8-slt. I would definitley go with the Vex. In my opinion its better for summer and winter use.

Thanks for all the replys.
As soon as get the motor running and get it out fishing a couple times, I should be able to order the 12d kit for my Fl-18.

------------------
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he will steal all your best spots!