• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

20 ga for Pheasant?

I will be pheasant hunting with my brother in-law in early December and will be using a Remington 870 Field Special in 20 Ga and takes 3" shells. What size shot and what choke would be appropriate? I have not hunted pheasant before and am not sure what to use.

My buddy always used his "pea-shooter" with a full choke and hi-speed #4's, 5's, or 6's, depending upon how far out they'd flush. He kills quite a few pheasants a year with that gun.

But you should probably wait to hear some advice from some of the more expert members of this forum. Leave it to a turkey guy to overchoke and make fun of smaller gauges!

Joel

I shoot a lot of birds with the 20. I do often switch to the twelve in the late season, but sometimes not too. In late season I shot 4's or maybe 5's (early season 6's or maybe 5's) and you don't need 3 inchers either. My 20 will handle them but I've NEVER even shot one through it.

I'd probably bring along both full and modified chokes. Depending on how wild the birds are, they can flush out there a ways late season, but if we get a snow, they hold real tight again then. Also, if you are hunting over a pointer and will be trying to get real close you sure won't need full choke for those shots. I probably shoot modified choke 99% of the time in all honesty.

The biggest things (imho) to shooting pheasants is two things you need to remember. First, they flush wildly and make a big ruckus but you need to quash that adreneline rush when a rooster gets up and you aren't expecting him. Give a two count if he's close, both to calm yourself and let him get out into a decent pattern. Two, remember that the back 2/3 of that big rooster is pretty much all feathers and you need to shoot the front 1/3 to 1/2 of him to kill him. That 20 is enough gun, but the shot has to be right...

20 is quite good for them the only thing is that if shooting steel go wit a #3 or #1 shot i have find the odd shot size to out preform the even time after time on steel (shoot a sbe 3 1/2 #2 will not out prform #3 3 steel trust me got allot of birds on this theary)

I shot a O/U 20 with the 1 1/8 oz short mags with #7.5 in the 1st barrel and #6 in the second. That's lead shot, I never used steel with the 20 so don't know what you'd use with steel. I killed a ton of birds with that gun. Go with 1 1/8 oz. lead #6's and IC or Mod choke for a single barrel gun.

I check the ammo that I have and found 2 3/4", 1 oz, 6's and 3", 1 1/4 oz, 4's. Both lead shot. I'll have to check with my brother-in-law to see if I would need steel shot though. He does have a pointer that we will be hunting with. Thanks for the heads up on the type of choke's and shot needed.

No, you cannot legally shoot lead on WMA's. I believe that state land only allows lead, as well as private land, but i may be wrong. Also, in mn you do not need a plug in your gun, so go at 'em with all 5. That is something i had to get used to hunting ND for the first time this year, not having those extra shots, even though i havent needed one yet, the rest of the guys like to clean up for me! grin.gif

I finally got out Pheasant hunting this weekend, near Cokato, Mn. I did need steel shot, so I picked up some 3" # 4's using a modified choke. Numb fingers for the first 45 minutes was not my idea of fun but after tromping through high grass and cattails I did warm up and my fingers thawed out, then it became an enjoyable hunt. We saw seven birds, got shots on two and my brother-in-law got one. I only got of one shot, a miss, my brother-in-law did not buy into any of my excuses for the miss, just smiled and shook his head. My brother-in-law also had his Weimaraner with, she’s 21 months old and a great hunting dog. Watching her work really added to the hunt.

Anyway, thanks for all of the help/advice, I really appreciated it!