• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scouting new locations on unknown ice

caster

I was curious about the precautions some of you take when using a snowmobile or ATV to search for new locations on unknown lakes or lakes with fresh snow and unknown ice conditions.

I have traveled many lakes with questionable ice by snowmobile, but I was always moving. You can see the slush or bad areas but you don't stop and check them out. I haven't ice fished a lot, but now that I have a portable I can tow, I want to venture out more and live to tell the tales.

The best thing I think you can do is talk to some locals and get as much info from them as possable for springs and what ever you cant get I like to check a lake as it's freezing to kind fo get an idea where weak spot are thats if there is no snow if you can't do all that just don't go where people havn't gone

I am never the first to venture out. I always wait to see if others are in the area I am thinking of going to and that I see if they are walking, on 4 wheelers or sled, or if they are in pickups that is how I decide where to go unless I am familiar with the lake.

hey iffwalleye-

just wondering if you fished those wpa's nw of valley city at all last winter? This is my second year going to school in fargo(orginally from minot), and I am going to hit those up this year along with some other places relatively close to here. trying to figure out some future fishing spots... It's about that time where i'm going to have make the big decision to hit the ice or hit the fields!! great dilema though!

I fully agree with letting 'the other guy' check things out first. I won't drive on a lake until I see numerous tire tracks, and some vehicles still on top grin.gif Just be careful you don't follow the tracks of someone pushing they're luck, it seems like there are always a few of them around, those tracks might just lead to some open water blush.gif