• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rigging questions

Dano2

Question

I'd place this in the Walleye-Perch section, but theres not as much activity over there.

Was wondering when lindy rigging, how do you know how long of a snell to use?

Same question for bottem bouncing, plus how do you know what weight bottem bouncer to use?
I'm assuming alot has to do with the depth,
but where can I find this out?

Have any of you used the foam walker, and if so, Is it REALLY any better than a regular bottem bouncer?

Just wondering what some of your go to setups are after you mark fish with your electronics and start fishing.

HEY THANKS ALOT

[This message has been edited by Dano2 (edited 06-16-2003).]

4 answers to this question

When lindy-rigging i generaly use aboot 6 foot snells. I will use a little longer for clear water or when the fish are skittish.

I have limited experience with bottom bouncers but from what i have heard you want to always use enough weight to keep the bouncer at a 45 degree angle from the boat.

------------------
"Score, and they will remember you for 25 years. Miss and
they will remember you forever."

Dano,

When deciding on Lindy-style leader length you need to consider what type of bottom content you're fishing over, water clarity and especially how high off the bottom you want your bait in relation to how far off the bottom you're marking your target (fish).

Example--Mille Lacs Mud (prime mid-summer), I use a 6-10 ft. leader. If I'm marking fish at 3-5ft. off the Mud I need my bait in the strike-zone and a longer leader will keep my bait higher off the bottom.

Also, these fish are pretty saavy and if they feel the slightest tension on the "take" they'll drop your offering fast. A longer leader provides you with a better opportunity for strike detection--the longer the leader the more time the fish will have your offering in their mouth before you sense they are on your line.

It's kind of a trial/error thing so make adjustments as you deem necessary to your leader length.

I use #8 Gamagatsku Orange Glo hooks on the mud exclusively for Leeches and Crawlers.

Bottom Bouncer weight depends on your trolling speed and depth. Bobbo pretty much has it on the 45-degree angle. As I troll with bouncers I know I'm at the right depth if I can drop my rod tip back a foot or so and touch the lake bottom with the bouncer. Don't be afraid to use up to 5ft. leaders on your spinner rigs either--especially on clear lakes, just keep the Boat speed right so you don't drag the spinner on the bottom grin.gif

------------------
Chells

Chells,
Any special color and size that you used with the floats. Was out last weekend and seemed to get more on a plain red hook on an 8 ft florocarbon leader. Do you put the bead, float, then hook?
Just learning, caught 23 last weekend but heard others did better. Only caught about 20% on a crawler harness but the depth was all over, from 17 to 35 feet.

[This message has been edited by lumpy (edited 06-17-2003).]

Lumpy,

I don't use floats unless I'm in a real snaggy area or I'm not getting bit due to the bait not in the "strike zone."

I always add air to my Crawlers and I use a hypodermic needle rather than an off-the-shelf blower which makes a huge hole in the bait most of the time.

Have you tried the Phelps Floaters? I don't use them often, but they do work at times.

I also don't bother with the bead--conventional wisdom will tell you that a hungry Walleye isn't zeroing-in on a tiny bead when it takes your offering grin.gif I think that's more of a confidence thing for fisherman, especially in the Summer.

If you're not getting the hook-up results you want with the spinner/bottom bouncer and a crawler, be sure to cut the tag-end off the crawler, it will reduce the short strikes from Walleyes and it helps keep the Perch-a-zoids from ripping your Crawler apart.

A Walleye can only chase a trolled bait so far before it tires or looses interest. Swimming with its mouth open takes some effort--try "pumping" your offering while trolling by dropping your rod tip back and sweeping it back forward, as you drop your bait backward you literally drop the bait into the fishes mouth so be ready to set the hook if you feel anything on the sweep.

------------------
Chells