• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ski Doo Alpine

TooBusy

I have the opportunity to buy a 1980 Ski Doo Alpine snowmobile with the intention of using it mostly to pull my fishhouse around as needed. I am looking for any comments about this machine either positive or negative. One particular concern is the ease or difficulty with steering and just how well they will pull. Thanks

TooBusy-

Lancaster, huh? Home of Jesse Strege! Snowmobile racing rocks.

Anway, my thoughts on the Ski-Doo Alpine... I'm going to preface this by saying I've never rode one but have wanted one for a long time. Twin tracks and a single ski, it is just a strange snowmobile. I believe snomwobile clubs have used them for years to pull their trail groomers until the invention of the Cat Challenger and similar tractors.

My opinion is buy the thing!! I also love vintage sleds and this is one I would love to have in my garage. The Polaris Voyageur is also another one that is really interesting. I believe the track is 30 some inches wide on the Voyageur.

Hanson,

Be careful what you ask for. We had a Polaris Voyageur in the '70s and indeed the track was 30" wide, wider than our '68 Mustang's 20" cleated track. The heavier, wider sled had reverse, neutral and forward and we eventually cracked the transfer case when we got bogged down in some slush once. Scary with a machine that probably weighed 800 lbs. as was the time my sister tried to keep up with us on an ice road. Great until there was a curve! Luckily it didn't hit her as it rolled a few times. Stick with your vintage Cats as at least they're lighter. BTW-I'm also looking at an Alpine to drag a XC ski track setter around at work. They can't turn worth beans unless they are better than they were in the late '60s.

Kevin

When working, it will pull anything! It has tremendous power. Get it stuck and it is a real chore to get loose. Make sure you have a big scoop shovel along, because you can't lift it back onto the packed snow. Reverse is a good thing, but you really don't want to be backing up with a sled on behind. They don't steer very well, if you have the whole lake to turn around it will probably be OK. These old brutes are also noisy by today's standards. Many of them had an under-sized blower and they kept overheating the right side and blew pistons. Check with a good dealer about this particular year/model.

My experience has been a Love/Hate relationship. I loved the power, hated all the down time. There are much better options out there, but they cost money. Good luck.

I did end buying the Alpine. It is in perfect condition. Was owned by an older gentleman from Iowa who used it to pull his fishhouse out on Mille Lacs. It has never been on anything other than a Lake. He estimated that he only had 350 miles on the machine. Always kept inside with the track off the ground. It hadn't been started in over a year and took 5 pulls to fire it up. After that it is always first pull. Starter works fine, but I need a battery. Hoping to take it on a test run with my house on Lake Bronson this weekend.

TooBusy, Congrat's on your Alpine purchase, my friend had one for many years, they are a little clumsy, but can they pull!! We got stuck in the mud trying to get to our deer shack many years ago with my 1952 3/4 ton pickup loaded with water cans and all the other stuff you need to make camp. We unloaded the Alpine off the trailer, unhooked the trailer, and hooked the Alpine to the front of the pickup, to my AMAZEMENT it pulled the truck right out with everything still in it!! They still have a pretty good value on HSOList. Good luck.