• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bottom Contours to MMC card?

Jonesin4eyes

Question

Okay - I've read about twenty threads on GPS and loading background maps and somehow it's still not sinking in.

It seems like most of the maps you can buy get loaded to your PC and all you can do it transfer waypoints and tracks to the GPS.
What I would like to do is load the depth contours for several of the key lakes I like to fish.

It sounds like there may be some options and I'm hoping someone can help steer me towards what works the best for my Lowrance LMS-320.

Option 1- Probably the easiest, but expensive - and it doesn't have all the lakes I'm looking for. Buy a Navionics Pro Map (33 Lakes)MMC card for around $200

Option 2 - Buy a MMC card (running about 20 bucks on hsolist) and use a mapping software to load bottom contour data onto that card. Is this possible? I know that Lowrance sells a software (Mapcreate 6) - and has a shareware version that will allow you to transfer track and waypoints. But would there be any way to take the LakeMaster CD Rom with 255 lakes on it and load the bottom contours for selected lakes onto a MMC card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers to this question

I don't think you can download bottom contours into an mmc card. I've got an lms-320 with the reelbottom chip that has the bottom contours. It warns against copying the chip that it would destroy it.
If you have the realbottom software I think the only thing you can do is transfer waypoints to your gps via an mmc card (download to mmc then from mmc to internal gps memory). The other thing you can do with the realbottom software is use the gps interface in real life with a laptop in your boat, I suppose it will track your position on the laptop then right on the contours.
I've also got the hotmaps chip but in using that now a couple of times it is not calibrated correctly to find spot on the spots like the realbottom chip is. The hotmaps shows the contours but when you get to the spot you have to search for it a ways before actually finding the structure on the map. Hope that helps.