• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Atv hitch on a portable?

iowaboy

iowaboy-

Forget the rope! Every time you stop or slow down, that house will bang into the back of your wheeler!!

I did the same with my Otter sled for one trip out on the ice, I went out and bought the tow hitch the next day.

untie your rope from your portable. tie a half hitch in the center of your tow rope so that the opening just fits over your ball hitch. thread your tow rope through 2 pvc pipes cut so that they fit snug agaist the half-hitch knot and knot that you retie your rope back to the fish house. Bam! instant trailer hitch for only a couple bucks.

I would recomend the hitch for sure. The PVC trick works for a while but if ya pull for long trips or many times a year the ropes break and the PVC bangs on the tub. A solid hitch is the only way to go in my opinion. Well worth the $.

Also make sure you get a good pin and carry extras hooked to the hitch itself or in your gear bag. I once had my house pass me on LOW! I wondered whos house it was at 1st then realized it was mine and my pin had broke. blush.gif

Quote:

Avoid using rope. After watching mine slam into a tree at 40 mph you'd probably agree. The house and sled wasn't damaged but my finder and heater didn't fare as werll.

Uhh...why in Gods name were you going 40 on an atv pulling a portable??????

I wasn't driving an ATV it was a snowmobile. Doesn't matter it was my fault even though I was not driving it was my brother inlaws sled and he was driving. He don't do that stuff much and I should have told him to do things different. If I would have been driving we may have ben going much faster but that is why I own an older sled that would only go 55-60. I don't think I'd have lost the sled though? I've also pulled it behind my PU rather than fold it up. Most lakes I fish have no public access so the only person at risk is me and my equipment.