• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early Ice?

Juan Grande

cool pic bob!. i was backing the duck boat into the lake this morning, wondering what is all that niose coming from...........spent the next 20 minutes breaking ice so i could launch. about a inch and a half. luckily i was able to keep my tailights for another day.

As much as I love ice fishing, I'm a fraidy cat when it comes to thin ice. I want a minimum of 4" of good, solid, clear ice before I trot on out. Even with that, I'm drillin holes everywhere just to make sure it's safe for me.

I'm never the first guy out. I probably miss some of the best hard water fishing because of it, but cold and wet is a drag for me. There has to be many other pickups on the lake before I even drive my ATV out.

I'm usually one of the 1st ones out but the lastones off.Lots of people call me nuts I'll drive on 8" of good ice if I know the lake. Have drove on 4" (didn't know it was that thin) It was 12" except in one spot. Bad thing was the only way back to shore was over that same spot never fell through. Last year I dumped my truck in on a lake that I've fished often. The ice was a foot thick but underneath a snow drift was a little slush pocket. Do you realize how hard it is to get a buddy to drive his truck out on the lake to pull you out after you dropped yours in? Back to the ? an inch but I have an otter sled I stand in it and push myself out with a pole. The sled is kinda like a boat, so I figure it floats with me in it too. 2" is all I need to walk.