• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early Ice?

Juan Grande

Just wondering what you guys consider "early ice?" What is the minimum thickness you'd consider walking on?

I took my wife out just after Christmas last year and there was about 7-8 inches. There was no snow so you could see all the cracks and the darkness below. That warping and cracking noise had her freaked out.

I want to try some "early ice" tip up fishing for pike, but I'm not sure when I should go or what kind of ice conditions I should look for.

Any advice? Thanks.

I will fish alone on 4" but I drill a string of holes from the shoreline to my fishing hole to check the thickness of the ice. I like to drill a hole about every 10' as I walk. Seems like during the early ice you will find thin spots over the deeper water. I think that it probably takes longer to cool down the deeper water.

I'm a little extreme, I'm usually out on 2-3 inches if I get the chance, but I'm very cautious and I'm constantly checking the ice with a spud bar. First ice is usually anywhere from 2-5 inches, and early ice is typically considered 4-7 inches of ice. Once we get up towards 9-10 inches we usually have a slight snow cover and light penetration diminishes below the ice, and in return oxygen loss and dying/dead weeds...and it just keeps going from there. Once we hit around a foot of ice I usually start moving with the school of fish.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I've been out on as little as 1/4" without breaking, but I cheated. As the name implies, I use a hovercraft. This year I hope to hit Green for some first ice crappie action. Anyone have any sugestions? Should they be in the normal wintering grounds, or maybe not that early?

To all you Supermen - Remember, you're dead a long time!

With that being said, 3 inches of good ice is acceptable, but does make me a little squeamish. However, if a guy Northlander's size is out on 2 inches, I would feel a bit more confident. grin.gif

last year I was too itchy, and went out on 2" on a flowage (reservoir). That wasn't too smart - cracking everytime I stepped. This year I will wait for 3". I hope that all us Supermen are bringing spikes?? Hate to hear of a tragedy.

I normally wait for 3-4" More leaning towards 4". I just feel a wee bit safer when it's not cracking when I walk. But we do drill as we go and bring a spud bar with to. I say we as I don't like going alone, you know, safety in numbers.

Any ways, a wee bit of ice is forming on Lake Smetana in Eden Prairie. It'll melt later on, but we're getting closer!

I too am a little extreme. Important to note though, that I, and I assume the others who are venturing onto first ice, have done it many times. You've gotta know your lake - how it usually freezes, what areas take a while and how wind, snow and renegade ducks effect all of this. And, while we do venture on some pretty thin stuff, often times it turns from 2 to 4 inches in just another couple days. You would think it would be simple enough to just wait. It's a sickness, really.

I like to wait a while before first line is in, usually not until 4 inches. I stand at 270 lbs, and am not the typical bear. If I was 180 lbs, I'd probably have a little more guts.

No matter how much ice, it's always a rush the first time you step on the lake every year. A man who can walk on water can do anything until he breaks through it.

Ive never been acused of being "Normal" thats for sure. I even tied a rope to the bumper of my truck and walked out on 2" on the St.Louis. Only went out about 30' and in 6' of water with the picks and vest. I doubt Ill do it again though. Way spooky! At 260 pounds Im glad I have a size 16 to cover some ice. Again Im not normal at all, just ask my better half.

Call me Wimpy.. I wait for 4" before I'll go out, and then spikes, lifevest, etc. are at least along for the ride. First time out always makes you a bit nervous, so I say better safe than sorry... don't want to miss miy 4 kids growing up.