• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cork handles and guide question

Norco

Question

Why do all the cheap rods have that foam type handles and all the expensive rods have cork?? Also are fugi guides and reel seats good products?? Thanks

15 answers to this question

High quality cork is becomming rare and thusly more expensive. Cork handles will last a lifetime, foam will last a few years and slowly degrade, eventually becomming stiff and brittle. The chemistry of the foam is likely to have been improving over time, and is more UV resistant than a decade or two ago, but is still no match for real high quality cork. I would second or third that cork is more sensitive too, and denser materials like hardwood would be even more sensitive.

The cork situation is also affecting the winery industry in california, look for some of the good stuff to be sold with twist off metal caps, a few are using this already, and soon many will follow.

Yes - fuji guides & reel seats are good products, or at least I should say good enough. All the rods I've purchased have them stock.

Cork is more sensitive, but also a finish with a higher percieved value. EVA & cork each have thier places, but I wouldn't dismiss EVA as just 'cheap'. Depends which works best for certain applications.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

If you can fit a piece of high quality cork to fit the damaged area, a waterproof polyurathane glue or epoxy should hold it for a long time. I would fit the peice oversize and then sand it down to the level of the handle.

For what it is worth, cork is becoming rare. There has been a disease in the last decade or so that has been degrading cork stocks around the world. If you drink wine, you probably have noticed this - many wines, even the expensive ones, have gone from using real cork to plastic to seal their bottles.

Cork takes a long time to grow, so even though it has been a commercial crop for literally thousands of years, it may be a while before this is all sorted out.

To repair cork handles; file down some cork, bottle corks do fine, mix the cork dust with some elmers glue til it gets thick, use the "cork putty" to fill in the holes.
My2
God lyk!
JC

ps Question; Why isn't hardwood used for rod handles?

[This message has been edited by Blackstarluver (edited 06-11-2003).]

If you're referring to Red Barn Rods built in SE Minnesota, he's out of business.

I would highly recommend wood handles. Some custom rod makers will put wood handles on your favorite factory rod. I've had a couple done - more sensitive than cork and really never show wear no matter how you use or abuse them. Most any wood will work - I prefer lightweight.