• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buying new 4 wheeler

minnesota mac

I may be in the market for a new wheeler. The problem is I don't know much about any of them. I want to use it for ice fishing is the main thing, and deer hunting. I was going to buy a 4 wheel drive, and after that things are open. One thing cost is a factor so I was thinking maybe a 400, or a 500 rather than the bigger one's. I am wondering which model and brands you guy's recomend. Also which one's have less problems and what is easier to work on. Any help would be a great help.

All of the major players make excellent units, and will work for the functions you list.

Above all, consider the quality and service of the dealer you purchase from. It is worth a few extra $$$ up front if you need good service later.

I picked up a Polaris Sportsman 400 a couple of years ago. It has plowed snow with ease, and hauled out several deer and an elk. It handles ice fishing with ease, until the snow gets to about 10 inches and wind hardened. I have not regretted going with the 400 over a larger unit.

Minnesota Mac,

As was said before all the manufacturars have "caught up" and make quality atv's. It comes down more to personal preference and riding style. I really like my yamaha wolverine. I use it year around to complete satisfaction. It is a lightweight fun 350 4x4 that runs about $5200 brand new. I used mine last year to pull a 8x8 fish house on and off the lake. The only downfall is the stock tires are only 23inch, but you can get set of 25's to put on the stock rims at a reasonable price. I run 25 inch titan 589's and can go through almost anything the bigbore 4x4's go through. Almost every aftermarket tires company makes a 25 inch tire for those rims.

Atually I used it to pull a deer up a steep hill onto a ridge last week.

If you want to go a little bigger, I would take a look at the new kodiak 450. I have ridden it one time and I really liked it. It has more than enough power and a very smooth ride. I am not trying to sound brand loyal, but I guess I just stick with what has worked for me. I have been riding Yamaha atv's and polaris sleds my whole life.

My dad made the switch to polaris on a recommendation. The deffinately make a good powerful motor and a smooth ride. Their major downfall is the weight and the poor handling. They are hogs. His next puchase will be a Grizzly.

Honda, they still go on the reputation of reliability from the 1980's. They are no more reliable than anything else out there. I have driven other peoples hondas on occaision and I guess I am just not a Honda fan. I think that they are slightly behind other manufacturers on their brand new wheelers.

Kawi and bombadier, I am not familiar with so I don't want to put input on something I don't know about.

I would test drive a few if I were you and just make a informed decision. Preferabbly at your local Yamaha dealer grin.gif

Ryan

If I was shopping for a new atv. I would buy last years or this years polaris sportsmen 500 H.O. Polaris 500's have been on the market for several years now and the first few years they did have problems that they worked out. The last 2 years now, I can tell that they have all the bugs worked out and excellent improvements to them. In my mind, almost a perfect machine. Because they are not polaris biggest, you should be able to get a decent price for them. Every one of the manufactures that first came out with there big new machines, including polaris 700's had some draw backs. But the sportsmen 500 now h.o., has been improved for a few years now to the point where you can say this is the one. I am only telling you what is on my mind. I own a polaris 425 expedition 5-speed which they don't make any more because everyone that buys polaris wants to buy automatic. My machine is 5 years old with 3,000 miles on it. I have never had to walk out of the woods or get towed. When it falls apart, I want the 500 h.o. as my next machine. To me, any brands atv over 500 cc is just overkill. I don't begrudge any one that has one. northman(Chet)

Just remember one thing LOCKING FRONT DIFFERENTIAL. If you get into a sticky situation you'll be glad you have it. I'm brand loyal to Yamaha so I'd would get the grizzly or the Kodiak 450 or 400. Yamaha did some up grades and changed the body to look more like the grizzly. I'm getting a rhino 660 this spring.

IMO, I would go with a Honda Foreman. A strong reputation and don't believe the guys who say they don't start when it's cold. I've never had any trouble with mine. In today's market, they are probably one of the more reasonably priced machines as well.