• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to stalk corn?

DRH1175

I will be out Thurs friday by myself on Private land. I figured a good time to stalk the standing corn. Are there any tricks as to how I should go about. I guess I was thinking of walking the perimeter. Taking my time. Walking, sitting etc... During mid day. Stand hunting hasn't worked yet since opening day. But I know there are many deer in my area. I figure if they are not coming to me, I will have to go to them. Also may try rattling a bit. Thanks

Well some snow would be nice but i doubt it will happen, but start down wind and walk across the rows looking in both directions. Binoculars are a must plus some wind for noise and 36 inch rows if possible. 36 inch rows are not very common in southern MN but north futher it is used alot. Without wind it is almost impossible to stalk in corn. Hope this helps.

The main thing when stalking corn is to be quite, they have lots of ears confused.gif sorry, could not help myself.

Really, I would try and find were they are entering and exiting the corn and just wait them out.

I didn't catch if you were gun hunting or bowhunting, either way, pay close attention to your equipment. Corn stalks and leaves can foul things up quickly. If the corn is laying down at all it can be almost dangerous because of the tripping hazards. It's fun though if the deer are in there you can get close with a noisy wind blowing the leaves. Tracking can be tough as the rows can make it hard to see more than a small area. Good luck and get those corn stealers.

Abens1078

I tried it once and liked it. It was fun. But I think it should be windy so that it will cover up your own noise. I would walk cross rows(being careful not to knock down stalks)and then peek into the next row looking left and right before stepping into the next row.

I've never tried it myself but a friend was just in South Dakota pheasant hunting and he commented on how little the deer would move when he would walk by one in a corn field. It might be that they feel safer in a corn field so you might be able to get closer. Don't know for sure though.