• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a new portable

Duffer

This is gona be my first full fledge year of ice fishing due to the fact i worked alot during the winter. I have done quite a bit of ice fishing but mainly with my friends and relatives gear. I'am looking into buying a new portable. just cerious of any input on brand style or what i should look for in a portable. I really like the pull over or clam style portables. any input would be greatly appreceated.

Depends on your style of fishing, really. You have a couple general choices…you can get a ‘suitcase’ type shelter, so named because it folds up like a suitcase. These tend to be heavier, and harder to set up, but are somewhat more comfortable than the flip-style shelter, the other option. The flip-style shelters are usually based on a ‘sled’ type base, and are very good for moving around from spot to spot…especially if you're on foot and dragging it around yourself. They make it easy to carry gear around, then just drill your holes and flip the shelter over. You will tend to compromise comfort with this style, though.

There are a lot of different options in both styles…for the suitcase style, though, I would suggest a Frabill Speed Shak…very easy to set up…probably the easiest among the suitcase style portables. If you want a sled/flip over style, you have a lot of choices and a lot of sizes. It’ll be down to personal preference on a few minor items.

So, it depends on your style of fishing. If you want to set up and stay in one spot for a while, with a little more comfort, go with the suitcase style. If you want mobility, and plan to move around a lot, go with a flip style.

Just a few (fairly obvious, actually) notes...my two cents worth.

It's good to view a past thread by doing a search on the site.

My two cents are like everyone elses. I use to have to answer the question daily when I was working at the GM in Duluth. If you see yourself doing more punch a hole and sit type of fisherman, than a suitcase type house will work. If you want to be more portable, take a look at the flip over styles- like the clams, Otter, Frabills.

The best thing to do is go to your Fleet Farms, Ganders, and Sportsman Warehouses. Seeing the product vs. asking questions or viewing the items on line is a lot better!

Over my sales tenure, I have seen all the updates and the new this/that modifications each company has made. Find the right house that works for you and buy it......you'll be more happy staying warm and out of the elements than sitting on a bucket in 20 below weather!

Tight Lines!

I too am in the market for a portable. I need a 3 person for myself and my yard apes. So I started looking around, and found the Clam YUKON would fit the bill. But the $429.00 isn't easy for me to just shell out.Thanks to some connections I have, I found out I could get a YUKON for $375.00 (New in box). So this made it a bit easier to decide. Yet, I wanted to do some research before buying. So I went to Sportsmans Warehouse in Waite Park, and found the Eskimo Quick Flip III for $379.00! After looking them over, I decided I would choose the Eskimo. The materials are good on both, but I like the fact that Eskimo has windows so I can see the tip ups without opening the door. Sure they might get fogged up, but a swipe of the hand will clear it up enough for me to see. Plus I like the Eskimo's Bench seat vs Yukons seperate seating. Just my personal observations/opinions. smirk.gif

I have been on both sides of the fence. My first portable was a giant 4x8 plywood and canvas monster. took 2 of us to drag it out on the lake. After I got into fishing I had a suitcase style, which suited me fine, lots of room, comfortable, easy to tote around on the ice, but not as easy to be mobile. I now have a flip-over style, because as my fishing advanced, i learned mobility is an advantage, and now that I have an ATV, it's a matter of seconds to move to a new spot. Just go to stores and look at the different styles and take into consideration what you need...will you be moving alot, fishing alone, pulling it on foot... there are alot of variables to consider, but there is a house for everyone!! the main advantage to a flip over style, is the fact that your gear is always in the house and doesn't need to be removed.

I have both the suitcase and the portable flip style shelters and both have their benefits. If you are in the market for a flip over I would highly recommend attending the ice show at the rivercentre in St. Paul coming up next month. Last year I went not really looking for a shelter and ended up purchasing an Otter from Reeds. They gave me a great deal. Otter Den (sled and shelter), Otter swivel seat and an elastic cover for 310.00. About a hundred dollars savings from the store retail. Otter outdoors is right there in building, you just pay at the Reeds booth and go outside and get your shelter. Picking up the shelter was a disaster (another complete post in itself), but it was worth the hassle for the great deal they gave me. Otter also threw in two hats on top of it all!