• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mosin Nagant (Russian) M44 rifle

opsirc

Question

I have one that i picked up from Dunhams recently, am looking for info on them. The folks at dunhams only seem to know very little. Would like to be able to tear it down and find out if todays scope mount will fit it. has a short reciever area.

thanks

O

3 answers to this question

These rifles were built with no intention of mounting a scope. They were mass produced cheaply and quickly.

The only possible way to mount a scope on one is to bring it to a gunsmith and see if they can drill and tap holes for a scope. Only problem there is that it may not be possible to do because of it's design.

For what the rifle is worth, and I susspect you did not pay too much for it, it would be a great target rifle or you could just hunt using open sights. The 7.62 ammo is reletively cheap, so have fun. Kind of a cool gun and if it was produced during WWII even cooler.

use Google to look for surplusrifle (all one word). The first link will bring you to a great site that has history, manuals, cleaning/disassembly, etc. (including stock swaps and scope mounting information)

Lots of info on a lot of different surplus rifles and pistols out there...

Have fun..and watch out. milsurp rifles can get to be a tad addicting!

thanks for the info. learn a lesson this weekend, tried hunting with the open sights, did not work well. without my reading glasses could not see the sights, with them could not see the deer. missed two big does because of it. laugh.gif guess thats the ways it goes. sighted in ok before the weekend, longer distance made it harder to see deer.

O