• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

quickest 2 man portable shanty

icepike

do they make a flip over 2 man that is portable wih the sled that can fit all my equipment in it?im talking no assembly required on the ice..just flip over and fish?input will be appreciated..joe

Im not sure what ya mean. You will have to set up whatever house you buy. Unless you buy a pre rigged floor model. As far as once thats done all the sled flip styles in a 2 man should be big enough for you and your gear. They all require that you extend poles while you flip it over you the 1st time each day. After that most have doors you can walk through. www.otter.com Fishtraps, Frabil, Eskimo, and Polar Sport all have nice portables that are easy to pull and quick set up. Do a search on portable ice houses and you will get lots of houses to look at.

Hiya,

You'll probably get a variety of opinions on this, but I have a Frabill XLT Twin and I love the thing. Setup is very easy... Pull the supports till they snap into place, flip it over, and you're fishing. Tall enough to stand up in, lots of room, and the material they're made out of is outstanding. Lots of smart features too, like long skirts on the edge of the shelter so you can bank snow around them to keep the wind out, and a zippered door so you don't have to let all your heat out to go outside the shelter. Modular seating is great too. Comfortable and can be moved around, but also pop right out so they aren't in the way for stowing gear, and can just remove one seat and leave it in the truck if you're going solo.

Only problem with my Frabill is that it made me want to get a one man version too, which makes the BOSS think I won't be taking her with as much...no good. laugh.gif

Cheers,

RK

I recently went from a suitcase style to a flip over. I checked them all out. consider what you need. when I looked, I liked the otter lodge. that's one of the biggest. otter went to square tubing for the frame which seems strong, however it is a very heavy duty shelter and i don't think I would be able to pull it very far on foot with all my gear in it. early ice before you can drive anything on it is my favorite ice to fish. I ended up buying a fish trap voyager and think I'm going to love it this year. I don't think there are any bad shelters on the market, flip over or otherwise, but you just have to look at the options and consider your needs.

I think I know where your comming from.I move a lot and the faster you can flip the better.The draw back is that with that type of shelter the ceiling height is low and you may have difficulty setting the hook.I had the Little Jigger made by Shoremaster.I realy liked the fact that all you had to do is just pull the shak over yourself and commence to icing some fish without a lot of screwing around.I did loose a few fish when setting the hook into the ceiling.

I am now fishing out of an Otter and love it.It does not take more than 10 or 15 seconds to extend the poles and your fishing away.Only takes about 15 to 20 to collapse the whole thing also.A few seconds worth it,to hook up on a fish or two more in my book.Plus you can stand up and stretch if needed.

Just some things to consider.Super set up speed or fast set up and lots of room.

Hey Dennis,

I remember seeing your Otter at the Lindstrom outing last year. Just for reference, what size Otter was that? I'm going with either the Frabill or the Otter product, but still unsure of the size. I thought the one you had was a good size, but maybe too big for trekking w/o a sled?

I have the Eskimo two man and it works good for me. I don't have a quadrunner so I have to haul it on foot. One guy can haul it and it fits two guys with reasonable headroom. Its not as durable as the Otter but if you put on wear runners it should work okay. Its light enough for me to load alone in my truck.

Exudedude. I submit: What if the hokey pokey IS what its all about? Thats even scarier!! shocked.gif

I am happy with my fish trap guide. I do alot of fishing by myself and I have no problem loading and unloading by myself. That is when it is fully loaded with my gear including a 10" Jiffy. I usually pull it by foot. The sled isn't as sturdy as an otter's so it depends what you are pulling it with and how far. It is roomy enough for two average sized guys but a bigger guy might want a larger portable especially for headroom.