• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lottery system for Bucks

walleye_dan

If I got a chance to see if I got a buck or not, I would hunt when I got one. Also, if archery was excluded I would more than likely just do that. I could see having a buck lottery for SOME parts of the state. But really, what is deer hunting if you know you don't have a shot at the big one, I think that without that chance deer hunting loses some of it's luster/magic. Wether you want to admit it or not, the truth is every deer hunter envisions himself dragging out that monster deer. I do agree with banning party hunting and having a point limit, but a buck lottery is going way too far in my unexpert opinion.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dockter,

There is no doubt that a very high percentage of deer hunters dream about the "big one". Having a lottery system in some areas would allow big ones to grow, in my opinion. But, you're right, a lottery may not be the best management practice for all areas. However, I do think it might enhance the quality of the hunt in some areas that receive a tremendous amount of pressure every single year.

Another thought...MN has various deer hunting zones. If the DNR was serious about managing the herd, why don't they treat each zone as a different season with different licenses? That is, a hunter should be able to shoot as many deer as there are zones or units.

QDM, is gradually catching on, most of the hunter's that spend a lot of time in the woods, won't shoot small bucks, or at the least won't shoot multiple small bucks like they would have in the past. I am totally opposed to a lottery system or point restrictions. I agree everybody wants the chance at the big one, should he come along, but most people just want to shoot a deer & we do need to stay on top of this population. What's wrong with that? I've seen more deer & more bucks in the last five years then ever & I've hunted central MN for the last 25 years, so I really don't know where you're coming from dunns.

People used to get way less deer 25 years ago, in our area, but I don't think the bucks were any bigger. There's plenty of big ones out there now, just lots of little ones we need to wade through. I've passed on many, many small bucks this year bowhunting, as I have the last three years. I've shot many, many does over that time. I shot a 6 pointer by accident gun hunting last year, so what? I have now shot two bucks with my bow this year, but most of those I've seen bowhunting are still alive. They didn't get shot during the first gun season anyway. They sure could have, but they didn't. They'll be bigger next year, it doesn't hurt anything to shoot a few small bucks, it's just that people need to not shoot every one they see like in the past.

I agree on the rough winter thing too, so why not shoot a lot of deer? A controlled herd that's got bigger healthier animals has a better chance of surviving a rough winter, as opposed to a whole passle of small ones. I was carefull not to overhunt my place & not scare the deer away, but then apparently crop rotation or the neighbor's dog, who knows, caused them to vacate anyway. I might as well have shot them.

I think things like hunter QDM and antler restrictions are more viable options to this problem. Hunter education is also a big key...because a lot of the people that crab about no big deer are the same ones who shoot bambi...I for one have passed up herds of spikes, forks, sixs, and even some small eights. I mean it should be more of a hunter option that is enforced by other hunters.......I mean this as hunters pressuring their buddies to pass on the smaller deer and also passing on smaller deer themselves.

This is an interesting topic, but I am hearing the same thing, We need to practice quality deer management, and we need to have some kind of point system or lottery system. One thing that I think many of us are missing is that the DNR is trying to manage as many deer as possible. They do have fairly accurate counts of deer numbers in your area. It is hard to determine where some people are coming from because of your location. I am in SEMN and bowhunt primarily around Whitewater State Park, I followed large bucks all summer and as soon as October hit, the bucks became more and more nocturnal. The onle deer that I saw in October where numerous does and small bucks. Maybe the fact the we are taking less big bucks is due to the fact that the deer are getting smarter. Monster bucks hide after the first gunshot and don't come out until after the last one. Numerous times I have went out grouse hunting after the firearms season only to have a nice buck standing in front of me.

I don't think that restrictions should be placed on bowhunters, most bowhunters shoot a doe to fill the freezer or wait until a monster buck to shoot at. It's the nice part of bowhunting. In addition, I don't hunt at all in zone 3A, I hunt 3B, moving the buck season later for this season will greatly effect the other. In 3B we rarely see bucks. We hardly ever see shooter bucks. Most of them are still sitting pretty tight. But I enjoy seeing large amounts of does. Anyhow, if we could try and give an indication of where we hunt, it might make the discussion a little better. I know that we can look up the locations of each author but that gets annoying. I also think that with the past winters we have been having have seriously increased the deer population. If you are in an area that has had diminishing deer populations, I would be thinking that there was some kind of predator problem, the two or four legged kind. Remember that the corn crop also plays a large role and this year, much of the corn was still in for deer opener. Much of it is still in right now.

Just my random thoughts.

I would be 100 percent for a buck lottery system...it wouldn't be any different than a slot limit on fish. Give the deer a few years to grow and then you would hear everyone talking about the "Big Buck" they saw, not...all I see are does and fawns. I understand that the DNR has made getting a deer a numbers thing...and it doesn't seem to be a problem getting at least one doe every year archery hunting, but it would be great having a good chance to harvest a 140" + buck once in a while. The majority of the bucks we see around here are 1 1/2 year olds. I do like the fact the DNR is at least looking at other management practices...it shows that they are trying to make the hunt enjoyable for everyone. Perhaps more State Parks could become similar to the type of hunts at Camp Ripley...protect the deer for the majority of the year and open it up to a limited special hunt. I know some are doing that now...guess I'll have to look into it next year.

A buck lottery system is NOT a slot limit! A POINT SYSTEM that is like a slot limit. So I win the lottery, I can still go out and shoot a spiker...it doesn't stop the winner from shoot a spiker or a forkhorn, thus, accomplishing nothing.

Nicely said my friend....I also checked the regs for wi, Ill, and Ia, NONE OF THEM HAVE A BUCK LOTTERY!!!!! Why would we need to have a buck lottery if all of these states that are "passing us on B&C bucks list" don't have that?? I mean come on, i don't want the chance at the big one ruined for hunters across the state, and I don't think outrageous things like this would ever become law anyway........

Quote:

How many hunters wouldn't go hunting if you couldn't shoot a buck during gun season? How many of you keep a limit of 4-7 pound walleyes? I usually release them so that someday I might catch a trophy. If hunters themselves can set standards to what type of deer they shoot, then the DNR shouldn't have to step in. There are trophy deer out there and everyone wants a shot at one. Hopefully there is a way to give everyone that shot.

The DNR puts restrictions on those lakes that you cannot keep 4-7lb fish. It isn't JUST the fisherman showing judgement and wanting to catch fish another day. The DNR has regulated what can vs what can't be taken home.

I would like to see the DNR take an area and do a special season on it for the purpose of our topic here. See what kind of results it has.

Here's an idea, how about we quit trying to regulate everything through more complex rules, lotteries and restrictions. Who are you to tell someone else what a trophy deer is. The best advice would be for everyone to forget about these ideas. If you want bigger bucks, pass on the small ones and shoot more does, but do it on your own. We don't need any more restrictions. Here's another novel idea, why don't you also educate your neighbors about why your shooting does and passing on lesser bucks? I know people that practice this in just one woods and are seeing results.

I agree with Piker. I too would like to see more and bigger bucks but I don't really like the idea of more regulations. I think more and more people are passing on the small bucks each year and there will always be some people that will blast anything with an inch or more of antlers but I think we are heading in the right direction without regulations as it is. Education is key! Regulations will get people to do the bare minimum not to break the law but if they truely care about the quality of our deer then they will practice and police their own land to higher standards.

Someone earlier mentioned changing the season dates. As I sit in my cubicle thinking about the problem of buck quality I wonder if changing season dates wouldn’t be the best thing.

What would happen if we swapped a shortened muzzleloader season and the regular firearms season? So the regular firearm season would begin Thanks Giving weekend and a one week muzzleloader season would begin the first weekend of November. This should give the bucks somewhat of a break and would also give the bucks a chance to get most of the breeding done.