• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2" receiver hitch

TV BOY

Has anyone installed one of these on their ATV. I was thinking of installing one on my Kodiak to gain some clearance of the rear tires when turning. I figured if I used the hitch off my truck in one of those small receivers that the ball should just be at the rear tires.

Or does that extra length form the axel create problems?

I built one and added it to my 95 bayou. went down to the local steel place, picked up a piece of 2" inside diameter square tubing. welded it to the axle and just used the hitch from my truck. works grat and no problem yet.

O

I built one for my Griz with a piece of 2" inside tubing and a 2" flat bar welded to the bottom going back to the factory hitch bolts(allen Head) and then I put another 2" flat bar and bent it over the cross bar on the back of the frame. I will be build ing another one for the front end hear shortly.

I spoke with the owner of the Yamaha dealership today. He is not a fan of the ones that just bolt to the factory hitch. He said it will stress it too much- unless there is hardly any tongue weight. Even though the wheeler is rated to pull over 1000lbs the rated tongue weight is only 33lbs!?

So I guess I'll stick to what i've got.

I got my receiver from cabelas today. I was dissapointed to see that it just uses the same 3 bolts that hold on the factory hitch. The pic in the catalog looked like it should have a longer piece that would attach to the pumpkin or frame directly.

I wonder if having the hitch stick out farther (which will help my turning problem) will cause me to hang up on steep inclines - like pulling a house off a lake?

My son owns a Grizzly and put on a receiver hitch, by the time you put a ball tubing inside the receiver itlenghtens the pulling hole out a extra 8 ins. the original hitct is held on with two schere bolts. the first thing that happened was the bolts broke. the dealer told him they put those bolts in the hitch to keep from twisting the frame. frown.gif

Thats what I thought might happen because of the leverage of the longer hitch. The Kodiak uses 3 bolts- I wasn't aware that they were shear bolts. Thanks for the HEads up!

My luck....I would have installed the hitch, and on the 3rd bolt, tighen it too much with the wrench and twist the head off grin.gifgrin.gif

I bought a ipi reciever hitch for my kodiak 450 and it mounts onto the factory hitch, i dont really care for it because if you look at your factory hitch it slightly bends down so when the reciever is mounted it slants down so you have to turn your drop hitch upside down to make it even. not very happy with it, i think i might just take it off and put the ball back on.