• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar or Marcum?

jphersh22

I'm new to the site, but I've read lots of posts on here about Vexilar and Marcum and it appears the Marcum LX-3 is popular. I fish mostly ponds in Iowa and seldom more than 15' deep, so I really don't think I need a zoom feature, so I'm debating between buying a FL8se or a Marcum LX-1. I fish with my dad who has an FL8 so I'm worried if I don't get the Vexilar either he or I or both will have interference problems. Any advice?

Thanks,

John

I just bought my first Flasher a couple of weeks ago, it was a Marcum LX-3, I have not used it yet but it came with everything I should need for Ice Fishing. One problem I've had is in trying to register this product on the Marcum Web Site. Their seems to be a problem with certain contact pages on this site. I did contact them through one of the e-mails there and mentioned that I could not register my product on their Web Site. I received a reply that thanked me for pointing out the problem and that it would be fixed within two days. A week went by and no fix, so I e-mailed them again and received a reply thanking me again and that I should send in the registration snail mail and that they would be checking into the problem with the site, I did just that. I still can't get on the Web Page to register and I'm just wondering if it comes down to needing anything concerning warranty work am I going to have a problem with this company? Has anyone dealt with them concerning any repairs or warranty work and how did they handle it?

i just purchased a lx-3 and it wil be in this week..i heard nothing but rave reviews from all you guys over here..in connecticut it seems that everone uses a vexialr..so i dare to be different..joe

Hey jphersh, welcome to FM! Sorry your first post was a little rough. If you like, search feature is at the top of the main forum page. With that you can search archives way back by subject or user or date. Your question has been hit on pretty hard. Although we do appreciate you question and will respond to it as you can see from the above responses.

The above guys are correct, they're both great units but as you will see when your search, there are some very real differances and will be a personal preference deal between the two. As far as interference goes, you might be on the right track in your situation sticking with another vex or just switching over to MarCums. Hope this helps and again welcome.

Most companies consider registration of a product more of a marketing tool rather than a warranty tool. All they want to know is who purchased it, where it was purchased, when it was purchased, and some other information. Your reciept of purchase is your key to any warranty issue. Without it you most likely won't get any where. Final thought is if they considered registration for any type of warranty then why would anyone register there product until its actually broke (example. my flasher is 3 years old it went on the blink i think I'll finally register it with the purchase date of a month ago.)

JP, Welcome. I had the fl-8 and updated to the lx-3 two years ago. I was very happy with both units. My brother and friend have the fl-18 and are plenty happy with theirs. As for the interference, I've fished with two fl-8's in same shack as well as a fl-8 and an lx-3. The lx-3 does a great job of getting rid of the cross over signal. However, I was always able to fish with two fl-8's as well. What ever you do, stay away from the "ice machine", I've fished with next to one and he had all sorts of problems reading through my signal, but the lx-3 was fine. You're splitting hairs with the fl-8 and the lx-1. Both super tools.

I have used both the FL 18 and the Marcum LX3.They are both quality units and you can't go wrong with either. For my style of fishing the Marcum is a clear choice.It has been better at elimating the interference from other sonars near you and the adjustable zoom is handy when for either zooming in on bottom hugging fish in deeper water or targeting suspended fish.

I also like the crisper display on the Marcum.For my eyes its easier to pick out seperate targets.

There both good units,its just a decision on what you want to get out of them.