• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How did you do

everything went wrong that possibly could have.

I atleast could have had a last chance doe sunday evening

when several were walking between the land we hunt(private) and a minnimum maint. road, and of all the times for someone to come driving down it it had to be this time, and instead of worrying about getting shot as I had my scope on one of the doe, he decided he would keep driving along side them as they were running, same deal once they got to the other side of the hil where my buddy was posted, he couldn't take the shot either. To tell ya the truth, after thinking about it for awhile, I should have shot, and my buddy should have also, we each would of easily got one and the guy in the truck (that was obciously probably doing it on purpose) could of shoved it up his........

By the way, biglakebass, man that is one heII of a nice buck, definetly put that on your wall, its better than the 8 on got on my wall by far.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 deer for 12 guys hunting, nothing big. 6 smaller bucks, three fawns, 2 yearling does, & one big doe. I also shot a nice bodied 6 pointer Friday night with my bow. I would not have shot that on the property where we were gun hunting, but where I was bowhunting Friday night any deer's a bonus.

I ended up with 2 bucks, an 8 pointer and a fork 5. The real story however is the one that got away. I hunt on public land in a large area in NW MN. On opening day I spent over 10 hours in my stand without seeing a single deer. I knew from experience (and my luck in the stand last year also 2 bucks) to stick it out. In case your wondering yes we party hunt.

At 0755 am on the next day (Nov 7th) I saw the 8 pointer coming out of some thick brush straight out from my stand. He was walking broad side about 80 yards away initially. When I brought my rifle up to draw down all I got was a white glare! The sun was at the worst possible angle and I must have had some moisture on the scope. So I'm furiously trying to wipe off the scope while the buck is walking casually in front of me. I'm still having trouble getting the scope to clear up and the buck is now about 100 plus yards out now off to the right a ways. Well he suddenly turns and starts following a trail right back towards my stand! Well after a few more nervous seconds of wiping off the scope and trying to see through it I finally get it cleared up. I shoot a few times and the buck drops about 25 yards right in front of my tree stand! Well now I'm pumped because I was sure that my scope problem was going to cause me to miss this buck so I let out a loud "Yea!". I get out of my stand and gut the deer.

Well I had left the string that I use to put my tag on the deer back at my truck. I have to walk through water to get to my stand so I had to put on my waders, walk back to the truck, get the string, and then walk back to my stand. I get back to my 8 pointer and put on the tag. Now just to set the scene I'm in waist high grass and I'm kneeling by my buck. I admire him for a minute or so and stand up. Just as I get to full standing height I look up and it takes me a few seconds to register what I'm seeing. A huge buck with I'm guessing a 17-18 inch spread is just coming to a stop and looking me in the eye from 15 yards away!! We both look at each other like "Where the @#$# did you come from!?". Well my rifle was loaded but lying 5 feet off to my right side. I remember my mind racing with "how do I get to my rifle". The buck after a few seconds (which seemed like hours) suddenly blows loudly and jumps two large bounds back to the edge of some very thick brush, and turns back to look at me. I jump for my rifle and by the time I get it in my hands he is well back in the brush blowing and snorting and making a real racket! The whole incident seemed so sureal that at the time I almost couldn't comprehend what just happened to me! To make a long story short he's still out there and I never fired a shot at him.

I got the fork five the next day out of the same stand and gave it to my uncle and cousin who hadn't filled thier tags, and I'll be back next year looking for Mr. big!! Awesome hunt with some great memories! It's what hunting is all about.

~piker

9 guyes hunting bagged 11 deer. 8 bucks and 3 does. my uncle got a 8 point and a doe, my cousin got a 6, my other cousin got a real nice 9, my uncles buddy got two spikes, my little brother got his first deer it was a nice doe,my dad got a small 3 point and a 6 point, and i got to see 3 deer. shot a spike on friday and a doe yesterday morning. fun hunt.

Well I had a great year. Shot an 8 pointer the first sunday, a doe on wednesday and a seven pointer on friday. Hope I didn't curse myself and now I won't get a deer for three years. Overall we ended up with 9 deer for 10 guys. A 10, 9, 8, 7, two 3's, a spike, and 2 does. Great season, and awsome weather all week.

We went 5-10 second weekend, 4 of the 10 hadn't hunted last weekend. We shot two large does & 3 fawns. The fawn I shot was very small, but had a leg apparently broken either naturally or from a car collision. There was no wound where it was broken at the knee.

We had a pretty successful weekend with my 14 year old son getting his first two deer (both does) on sunday. My 12 year old daughter also got a roughly 100 yard shot at a decent buck, but clean missed. By the looks of where the bullet hit a nearby tree, it must have deflected. She was a bit bummed, but happy to have had the chance at a nice little buck!

I hunted the whitewater area with my cousins. Got my very first deer. It was a monster doe. Man I had the shakes in the worst way when I took that mama. I heard a ton of footsteps walking towards my stand at about 8 am and I swear I could hear nothing but the footsteps and my heart beat. It was awesome. Anyways, I kept looking around and finally saw them. There was three of them. All does. I was bummed at first cause they were about 150 yards away and I would not hit them. So I just waited and they started walking up the mountain. I look back down the way they came and here comes an 8 pointer. At this point i'm shaking really bad. For some reason the does got spooked and two ran back the way they came and the buck takes off with them. The biggest doe however runs to within 50 yds of me and man I thought I was shaking bad earlier. Now I'm really shaking.The doe stops and starts looking around. It probably took me about 5 mins just to raise my gun and aim as I didn't want to spook her. I used a tip I got from BuckMasters and did the take a deep breath thing and bammmmm one shot with my 12 guage pump and a short sprint from the doe I hear a thump. I saw her go down about 10 yards from where I shot here. What an awesome hunt. Even though I didnt get the buck the rest of the three days we were out there I was still happy.

I to am addicted now and cant wait till next year. Thanks to all the FM'ers for the info you gave me! I will post a pic once I get it developed!!!

Lots of corn where we hunt still, 4b near Cannon Falls, our pary of five has 4 deer so far, quit early today and will just hunt till noon or so tomorrow, I got a large 8 on saturday around noon, and dad got a 7 pointer and two does, not much moving this year, just like everywhere else, too much corn, last year at this time I think we had 7 for 4 guys. But I'm still having fun, got the 8 pointer I had been seeing bowhunting.

Good Hunting up here by Frazee. 4 of us shot 8 deer. 1 big 9 pointer (228 pounds) 2 smaller bucks by new hunters and 1 doe and the rest yearlings/fawns. The strange thing is that after 5 1/2 days of all day hunting I never saw an adult doe. Lots of yearlings, fawns, and small bucks.

We shot 10 deer for 7 hunters near the Wauban area real good luck. We had a first time hunter bag her first deer. Great memories and another hunter hooked for life! Biggest was an very nice 8 pointer that were having mounted.

Over here in South Dakota we went 2 for 4 west river deer hunting. It was my first time out there and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. We hunted public land and did see a couple of nice whitetails on Fri. But when opener came along all we seen were mule's. I got a nice 4x5 with a couple of little stickers and my buddy got another buck but he accidently shot off the only side of antlers he had left. Talked to a bunch of guys from Michigan and they were hunting trible land and they had good luck. On Sat. I believe they were 5 for 8 with a couple of wallhangers. Now for the easr river season!!!!!!

I shot a pretty decent 8 pointer this morning. 9 1/4" G1's 8" G2's 4 1/2" brow tines and about 14" inside spread.

Nice symmetrical rack too. I'm very happy with him!

73 yards with a Remington Premier Copper Solid Sabot through both lungs and the heart. He didn't go far!